compressor failure after complete recharge.

Recently, some moron tried to steel an AC from my wires rental house. He cut the lines and apparently ran when he got a face full of R22. A local and more well known shop came out and recharged it from scratch. The compressor went out 24 hours later.

I know from auto ac work, when a line bursts oil goes with it. Could it have been it lost oil and they didn't put anymore back in? Other Ideas?

I'm kinda pissed, the AC was only about 8 years old. The whole thing cost $ bucks. Next time the little punk should just knock on the door and ask for a few hundred rather than make a 94 year old man go 4 days without ac in the Arizona heat.

Thankyou

Packy
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-24-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: pricing

Quote Originally Posted by packy View Post
    Recently, some moron tried to steel an AC from my wife's rental house. He cut the lines and apparently ran when he got a face full of R22. A local and more well known shop came out and recharged it from scratch. The compressor went out 24 hours later.

I know from auto ac work, when a line bursts oil goes with it. Could it have been it lost oil and they didn't put anymore back in? Other Ideas?

I'm kinda pissed, the AC was only about 8 years old. The whole thing cost $ bucks. Next time the little punk should just knock on the door and ask for a few hundred rather than make a 94 year old man go 4 days without ac in the Arizona heat. Thank you, Packy.
    I don't know what to say except; that is a terrible crime to commit against anyone & for you, it is a life threatening situation.

How can people be so low...

sorry to hear of your misfortune, when it comes to thieves- well, let's just say I have fantasies about catching tool thieves.

as to the compressor-

loss of oil could quite possibly be at fault. It's also possible that it wasn't evacuated and charged properly. In extreme circumstances that can cause compressor failures too.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

I once had a discharge line blow out at a soft solder joint that someone did,after the repair the comp. did not pump!

if the unit ran very long with out refrigerant it damaged it due to thelack of lubrication .this is one thing i warn customers about before i repair a void unit because of the exact thing that happened to you .mabey theywill help you out with thecompressor replacement
    We really need change now

if the unit was still able to run after the lines were cut it could have damaged the compressor even if it lost no oil.
    the unit running with no cooling coming back to the compressor would be enough to damage it.