I live Arlington, VA in a 1918 “catalog” home. Arlington gets pretty humid in the summertime and our finished basement becomes pretty much unusable. (We have the AC unit serviced each year and it is still OK.) Plus we see some mold growth around the vents in the Summer and the air quality is not up to par.
• 1200 Sq feet including 2 main levels and a finished basement.
• A previous owner “dug out” the basement foundation so the ceiling is high enough to use.
• There is still exposed earth under the basement stairs which I have covered w/a layer of thick plastic.
• Out front, under the front porch, the earth has been dug out for storage. This area is always damp but never any standing water.
• There is also some exposed earth behind some of the walls around the basement perimeter.
Flooding has not been an issue – just high humidity and condensation on vents and some duct work in basement.
I replaced all the gutters and rain spouts and checked the grading.
I am considering a whole-house dehumidification system like those offered by Ultra-Aire and AprilAire.
I purchased a Sanuvox in-duct UV air cleaner I plan to have installed as well.
If anyone’s run into a situation like this/can offer some advice I would really appreciate it. Also, can anyone recommend a good contractor in my (the Washington, DC) area?
Thanks in advance!