Confused HELP! Advice on replacing Apollo air handler...

This is my first post here after finding this site today so bear with me.

I'm looking for advice on replacing an Apollo hydroheat system for a 1200 sq ft condo in Asheville, NC. The existing unit is not functioning because of a leaking condensing coil that I am told by the manufacturer is no longer available. The model # of the air handler is 24-1AHW.2 and was installed in 1984. After talking with Apollo I found out that they do not manufacture air handlers any more. I thought I found a solution from a company called ThermoPride but the specific unit the contractor initially quoted turned out to be no longer available and they don't have any others that will work dimensionally. I have heard of a company called First Co. that may manufacture these types of units but don't know much about them and their website is not extremely helpful to me. Are there any other manufactures of air handler units that are compatible with the Apollo?

The AC unit is an old 2 ton Ruud unit of about the same age but seems to work fine from the 2 weeks I got to use it last year before the leaking problems in the air handler started.

I am frustrated because it is difficult enough to get a contractor come out to take a look at my system and give an estimate but they all seem to give me a different story. Some things that I am hearing are 1) installing a split system gas furnace with stand-alone air conditioner would require major modifications to the structure because the Apollo system is not vented, 2) heat pumps may or may not work because of the size of the existing line set, 3) received promises on replacing the entire system (Apollo plus AC) but unwilling to just replace the air handler portion or even provide quotes.

I am looking for an economical solution to this problem. I don't need a top of the line system as this is my first home purchase and I don't see myself there for more than another year or two max but for resell purposes (and my personal comfort in the meantime) I know I have to do something. I am not an HVAC expert but am learning through trial by fire right now. I am hoping to get a unbiased opinion here and not someone just trying to sell me something.

If anyone has any experience or recommendations in replacing these types of systems I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks in advance!

<replied to wrong thread> looking forward to reading this one.

First co. makes these air handler as well as Triangle Tube. You may also get a conventionak air handler of major brands and put an external water coil and circulator. This is more expensive, may require a 208/240 line for the air handler and a 115v service for the circluators, how much depends on the home. We use these sometimes because we may be putting a high efficiency our door unit in and they don't match up well with First Co. a/h's.
    Is this in an attic?

Thanks for the reply. I've never heard of Triangle Tube but I'll check them out. To answer your question, no the AH is not in an attic but in a closet dedicated to the unit. It's about 2 1/2'W x maybe 3-4' deep. All three walls of the closet are inside walls so the only possibility is to vent through the ceiling/roof I think if I was to go with a gas furnace.

At this point I guess I'm really trying to determine if I would be better off financially trying to get an Apollo replacement or going with a heat pump / traditional AH combo.

ADP makes a hydro air handler that is 13 SEER compatible.

Get a new outdoor unit also while your at it. You will have to anyway when you try to sell and a home inspector catches a 25 year old condenser.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Thanks for the reply. I am not familiar with ADP...is that an acronym for something? Do they have a website I can check out to see if they have a rep in my area? Thanks

Are you running it (water heater) on L/P or natural gas? We've replaced alot of these systems, some with heat pumps, some with gas 90%+ furnaces, others with water coil add ons or water coil a/h's. Higher efficiency water heaters usually on water coil/AH systems. The attic installs we install heat pumps when possible. Maybe someone (local) can go over your house and local utilities rates and suggest something fine tuned to you (& your budget)?

The Apollo air handler isn't vented but somewhere there's likely gas water heater that is, that is feeding the hot water coil in the Apollo.

ADP is Advanced Distributor Products, a Lennox family member. www.adpnow.com and you can put about any A/C on it plus hook up the hot water coil to your current hot water source.

I work on a subdivision that has 400 of these systems installed and usually we replace them with a gas furnace and let the WH just do the water. However we have been converting more to just straight heat pump so we don't have to apply to the HOA to add anything to the outside of the house. In my case all the units are in the attic... With what should be considered no drain pan so we usually don't just replace them with new water coil air handlers because of the leak potential. It really depends on your situation when it comes to what best replacement option is for you. Have you checked the contractor locator map to find somebody in your area?
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!