Building Science says"condition crawlspace air'?

My GC and I were talking and he is going to ask the HVAC guy regarding sealing the crawl from the rest of the livable basement area; the GC says "you don't want that air circulating thrru the rest of the house; not what Building Science.com says...........more confusion!!!!!dogdoc

don't know anymore than what i've read on the subject(s) of making attics and crawl spaces part of the conditioned enviroment. i smile though when i imagine being at a parts house or vendors luncheon and having some of the older techs tell me about how, when they were my age, they had to get up into hot attics. and how you couldn't enter a crawl space without getting dirt all over you. (and then i realize that if conditioning those areas of the home would ever be 'the norm', i'd be that old guy . )

listening to a General Contractor & subcontractor
    or
    to [probably] the most knowledgeable Professional Engineer in the US, maybe the world, as to how to handle moisture into a house?

why not just ass/ u /me?

the best approach is to keep moisture out of the house!
    then you don't have to keep it out of just one area of that house --
    ie: seal the attic & crawl & have HVAC ducts in the CONDITIONED space!
    what part of this does not make sense to you?
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Lstiburek

As mentioned is most likely the best source of info on this subject. Unfortunately, most GC's have never heard of him or taken any training on the subject. In my area they still build every house to fail. Putting a run into the crawlspace would be just one of several things that would need to be done for this setup to work correctly. If you're willing to do the research yourself or to find someone in your area that's qualified on the subject, go for it. I did mine that way and it works great but I spent $$ to get my crawlspace sealed. Good Luck.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do.".... Jerry Garcia
    "You just have to decide if you're a Tigger or an Eeyore,..I think you know where I stand on the great Tigger/Eeyore debate." Prof. Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    My GC and I were talking and he is going to ask the HVAC guy regarding sealing the crawl from the rest of the livable basement area; the GC says "you don't want that air circulating thrru the rest of the house; not what Building Science.com says...........more confusion!!!!!dogdoc
    Assume that you seal the crawlspace from the rest of the home. During cold weather the "stack effect" will suck crawlspace air into the home and out of the attic. Therefore, residual summer crawlspace odors pass through the home during cold weather. Therefore control summer mold growth in the crawlspace to avoid winter odors in the home. Traditions die hard. In green grass climates, keep basements/crawls odor free by maintaining <55%RH. This useally required supplemental dehumidification. Dehu TB

Guys...PLease be Simple for us simpletons!

Sorry I am an idiot when it comes to mechanical things; all the suggestions still seem like mud; do I or do I NOT put ductwork/heat and A/c to the crawl space; that is all I need to know; thnx! Dogdoc

Not a simple subject.

Yes, put it there IF you take all the necessary steps to make it work correctly. If you're having your home built like most homes today, then NO, do not treat it as a conditioned space. Have it sealed as best as possible from the home.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do.".... Jerry Garcia
    "You just have to decide if you're a Tigger or an Eeyore,..I think you know where I stand on the great Tigger/Eeyore debate." Prof. Randy Pausch

just WHY would anyone ask for poor construction?
    does the Contract call for "average" construction?
    speak up now, or be uncomfortable for years --

remember the golden rule -- he who has the gold, rules

If I am paying, you WILL follow my rules, unless they are not lawful! then, you had better be able to "quote chapter & verse" = show me in writing the law --
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!