+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Organ room

Post Likes

Organ room

I've got a coil replacement to do tomorrow. In warranty by 1 month on 5 yrs. But the thing that really got me was when I went in the basement there was a Pipe Organ, the whole thing like in a church. I hope he will let me get some pics cause I have never......... Said when he plays it they can hear it several miles away. House sits on a hill in the country.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Post Likes

selfemployed

Try to get some pictures. I heard somewhere that those organs had huge blowers. Some with maybe air driers and 8, 24x24 filters. Some with a lube oil console to lubricate the blower. I think it was the Crystal Catherdral. ????

Post Likes
    Organ room

What a relief. I thought this was going to be about a room they kept organs waiting to be transplanted.

Post Likes
    With pipe organs, the building is often planned around the instrument rather than vice-versa. I would have a hard time not taking an extra hour or 2 on the job just to check it out.
    I believe in latent heat.

Post Likes
    We have quite a few old churches with beautiful pipe organs in the area. I take care of the hvac in a number of these churches.

Players(organists) get upset if the temp isn't what it's supposed to be.. Most are on air now and a different weight of air (temp) puts them out of tune quickly apparantly. They can't practice when the building's in setback.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2¢.

Post Likes
    Gruntly, I can imagine them being realy picky about the temperature. The sound frequency produced varies directly with temperature. We HVAC guys could really screw 'em up

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by midhvac View Post
    Organ room

What a relief. I thought this was going to be about a room they kept organs waiting to be transplanted.
    A friend I worked with at Hewlett Packard is now some kind of lab tech. She worked in a lab that was associated with a hospital. It was called the "Gross Lab" and they did analysis on body parts that had been removed. She got to see plenty of cancerous breasts and lungs and all. The lab's name is appropriate.

Post Likes

high ceiling

Tha basment is taller than normal and he did say it was done that way for the organ. The tuner for church wanted the temp. in the sanctuary stable for 24hrs. before he tuned the organ. They speak in square feet of air too.

Post Likes
    Some rich guy gave an organ to the Cathreal of Burlington. (150 miles north) back in 1930. By some engineering mistake when the organ arrived they couldn't fit it into the Cathreal. So they sent it down to our church in Bennington. (convention goers know that this church is right down the street from the hotel).

So we ended up with this beautiful organ. The weird part is that the Cathreal in Burlington burnt to the ground in the 1960's.

The great thing about this organ is that you see these ornate pipes in the front but behind them is a big room full of plain pipes. The room has a wall full of pnuematic dampers that face the church. The organist can control the dampers for tone.

Back a few years they had the organ rebuilt for the tune of $60,000.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonYeti View Post
    A friend I worked with at Hewlett Packard is now some kind of lab tech. She worked in a lab that was associated with a hospital. It was called the "Gross Lab" and they did analysis on body parts that had been removed. She got to see plenty of cancerous breasts and lungs and all. The lab's name is appropriate.

We service the local pathology lab and I've seen plenty of things that would make you lose your lunch. Cancerous organs are probably the worst.
    If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by midhvac View Post
    Organ room

I thought it was going to be about an organ removal coupled with a handle name change to, girltech2. whew....
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Post Likes
    Pipe organ in a house? Is this Vincent Price?
    Luke 6:31

Post Likes

Here it is

And what veiw

Post Likes
    Heybob's Father, Hutch is his name. I hear tell he can play any organ anywhere. Supposedly is one of the best organ players from years back and has a name in the church organ business as a real good player. I also learned recently he is self taught. Like he can just hear and then play, doesn't need to read notes.

Post Likes
    Plays with his organ anywhere? That's not very discreet. Oh wait maybe that's not what you meant.

Selfemployed, thx for the pics. I wish my basement was like that. If I had a basement. But the scenery here does match that fer sure.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    Heybob's Father, Hutch is his name. I hear tell he can play any organ anywhere. Supposedly is one of the best organ players from years back and has a name in the church organ business as a real good player. I also learned recently he is self taught. Like he can just hear and then play, doesn't need to read notes.

That's right, he can really make a pipe organ or a piano talk that's for sure!

He is 72 and still plays every Sunday morning at a church in Milford Michigan.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in