Causes for Compressor Contact Problems?

Hi,

I've been advised to start pricing a new residential AC unit for a problem I'm experiencing. The compressor won't run when called for by the thermostat. The serviceman determined that the compressor relay contact was sticking open. When manually closed, the compressor started to run, but quickly shuts off when the contact opens (after about 3-5 seconds). It there a simple fix, or has it about had it? The unit is a Carrier, model 38EN024310.

You need to find a competent technician - not a salesman. Call another company.

It could be a low voltage wiring problem, blown fuse, damaged contactor, or otherwise.

contact issues

Thanks...I felt the same about the advice I received. The unit worked fine one day, and had this problem the next. I'm going to try to find a replacement contact and go from there.

so, you would rather save the $ for a service call & risk burning out the compressor $$$$?
    or
    getting electrocuted?
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

yeah sounds like you need a tech to look at it and determine why the contactor isn't energizing.......whether it's a bad contactor or some other reason......get someone to look at it who knows what he's doing

There could be a safety in the condenser that is opening the contactor.
    You need a tech that will check it for the cause of the contactor not to close.

Just putting in a contactor is not the answer.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

contact problems

I don't think I was very clear. I'm certainly not going to be doing the work on that unit! I will definitely get someone who knows their way around an AC unit. Relax...I'll be paying someone!

Quote Originally Posted by Andmoreagain View Post
    I don't think I was very clear. I'm certainly not going to be doing the work on that unit! I will definitely get someone who knows their way around an AC unit. Relax...I'll be paying someone!

maybe you misunderstand what i'm saying....you may not need a new a/c unit. you may only need a tech who knows what the hell he's looking at to come and troubleshoot your system......

here's an example......i used to work for a guy who didn't know boo about service. he was called by a builder he worked for because a system he had put in a few years before that was not working......he went to the house and told the homeowner that his condenser was shot and he would sell him a new one. well a day later....i was doing work on a house down the road from said house for the same builder. he asked me if i could look at an a/c that was not working. i didn't know that my boss had been there the day before. so i went and looked at it......cap was no good. i replaced it with a cap i had on my truck....bam a/c was fine. unfortunately i opened up a can of worms, but i didn't know it. the builder and the home owner called my boss. the homeowner threatened him with calling the BBB and told him to shove his service contract up hi a*s. builder never used him again. me and the boss got into a little argument over it and i wound up leaving the company....but that besides the point. the point is that he tried to sell the guy on a new condenser over a $30 part. he lost a customer and alot of install work as well. it wasn't even that he was trying to screw the guy it's that he didn't know what the hell he was looking at.

contact problem

I hope that when I do make that call, I get someone like you to respond. Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by damedi07 View Post
    maybe you misunderstand what i'm saying....you may not need a new a/c unit. you may only need a tech who knows what the hell he's looking at to come and troubleshoot your system......

here's an example......i used to work for a guy who didn't know boo about service. he was called by a builder he worked for because a system he had put in a few years before that was not working......he went to the house and told the homeowner that his condenser was shot and he would sell him a new one. well a day later....i was doing work on a house down the road from said house for the same builder. he asked me if i could look at an a/c that was not working. i didn't know that my boss had been there the day before. so i went and looked at it......cap was no good. i replaced it with a cap i had on my truck....bam a/c was fine. unfortunately i opened up a can of worms, but i didn't know it. the builder and the home owner called my boss. the homeowner threatened him with calling the BBB and told him to shove his service contract up hi a*s. builder never used him again. me and the boss got into a little argument over it and i wound up leaving the company....but that besides the point. the point is that he tried to sell the guy on a new condenser over a $30 part. he lost a customer and alot of install work as well. it wasn't even that he was trying to screw the guy it's that he didn't know what the hell he was looking at.

UH OH! Always good to check the capacitor, even on routine maintenance if something seems not quite right. On one heat pump I was doing a maintenance on, I cut the amp draw almost in half by replacing a bad capacitor. The heat pump had been working but I was surprised at the compressor's amp draw. Checked the capacitor and it was no good, replaced it.
    I believe in latent heat.