Thread: Moving unit to conditioned space. New duct work required?

Post Likes

Moving unit to conditioned space. New duct work required?

Thanks to this forum and other sources of information, I am installing a new AC unit in a closet (as opposed to the attic -- where the old unit was located).

Two contractors advised that the new AC unit could be tied into the current duct work, while another advised that using the current duct work would create air flow problems, as those ducts were originally installed/positioned for a handler in the attic. Where do I go from here?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Post Likes
    A manual D will let you know if it should stay or it should go.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rickboggs View Post
    A manual D will let you know if it should stay or it should go.
    I am yet to find a contractor perform any sort of calculation when creating a proposal. The only "calculations" performed have been reading labels on the old units and counting air ducts (borderline rocket science). I asked one contractor about a heat load calc, and was told it takes a long time so he won't do it until I sign a contract with him.

Post Likes
    With Manual J software, the block load takes 15 minutes, that includes pouring my coffee. 10 minutes and reading the labels on the new equipment will answer the new or old duct question.... You're fix'n to make a big purchase.... and be stuck with it for 10-15 years.... with large repairs just after labor warranties are expired because no calculations.... it's not rocket science.... even I can do it.

Rule of thumb.... Don't use rule of thumb

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in