Confused Opinion on New System

Good day and thanks for reading!

I live in a 30yo ranch about 1800sqft. Tired of window units and finally got the ok from my wife for central ac (although she will hang it over my head for a long time!)

Got 4 quotes...all from companies that specialize in HVAC and have been in the area for over 15+ years each. 2 were Trane and 2 were Carrier.

For some reason Carrier Infinity came back awfully high from both dealers. I chose Trane since it was more reasonable...we don't have that long of a hot cycle so I don't want to over do it.(Live in Eastern PA).

I went with the Heat Pump under the advice of my father-in-law. Our main source of heat has been oil-fired furnace with water baseboard heat, which we love because it is not dry at all. The argument was that the HP would be more efficient during fall and early Spring than would the oil furnace...and with the fluctuation of oil prices you never know what will happen. THoughts on this?

The unit is a 3 ton Trane 14i(XL?) HP with Apilaire 2250 media filter and R-410(the new freon!) Basic on/off thermostat. Fiberglass duct board trunk with dampers and flex ducts to the vents. Will be installed in the attic.

1.) Is this an acceptable unit? Even though this was the cheaper quote, I felt as though this guy really took his time diagramming the house, measuring windows, asking questions about preferred temp in the house, accounted for our pets in humidity and heat output, etc. He sent his quote with the house diagram and a printout of the Manual J specs and included everything in his quote...no hidden add-ons etc. He and the install supervisor will come back out to go over the layout, vent placement, etc. NO one else seemed to offer this info up-front.

2.) I am concerned about the fiberglass duct board. I have not found anything concrete that it will break down and pollute the indoor air, only opinions. It will never be disturbed in the attic, so should it be something of concern? I read that the older stuff would break down and release fibers, but the newer board is well-sealed and provides a better insulation than steel ductwork. Thoughts?

3.) Otherwise, I'm ready for my central ac!

Thanks for the opinions.

It sounds like you've chosen a good contractor. Have them put the system in and enjoy. If your wife says anything about the A/C, move her into the garage.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

Everything should be fine, and sounds like your contractor did a good job. Train and Carrier is a matter of Preference. It is like Chevy and Ford. The Infinity system is an AMAZING system and State of the art to say the least. The train system may not have as many bells and whistles but just as reliable and will do the job just as well. I have been repairing equipment for 10 years now and my father all his life. Train and Carrier both by far are the two best brands in my opinion you can buy.
    As for the ductboard. I don't see it causing any harm but can break down over time. The only other option is to have them run regular metal duct and wrap the outside of it with the fiber glass insulation. This route may tend to be a bit more expensive and labor intensive however.

Hope I was a help, You can't go wrong with Trane or Carrier.
    Last edited by HVAC Expert; 05-11-2007 at 03:33 PM.

I would pay a little extra for the metal duct, I personally would never install that stuff. And I am sure alot of people do and I dont want to start a huge pro fiber-duct thread here.......Just my humble opinion

Quote Originally Posted by sgklein View Post
    I went with the Heat Pump under the advice of my father-in-law. Our main source of heat has been oil-fired furnace with water baseboard heat, which we love because it is not dry at all. The argument was that the HP would be more efficient during fall and early Spring than would the oil furnace...and with the fluctuation of oil prices you never know what will happen. THoughts on this?
    You have a wise father-in-law. No one knows what's going to happen to oil supplies, their cost or availability. I just did the same thing and I'm keeping my oil hot water baseboard as backup..............

If oil supplies stop or get cut down, there's going to be one hell of a scramble to heat our homes..........