Heat / AC distribution

hello - I am doing a large remodel / rebuild and need to decide on a HVAC Distribution system. My main question is on Hi Velocity distribution.

What are the advantages or disadvantages of this type of system. I have space for conventional ducting, altho find the high velocity system interesting.

What is the most comfortable and efficient Distribution system?

I am considering a DX geo system as my heat/cooling source

what are people's thoughts - i would really love some feedback

thanks

Vinnie

Be careful not to be to techie.

Standard duct systems are less costly to buy and to run than a high velocity system They are a good choice when you have limited space or in historic buildings where you want to keep the original look.

The geo system is a pricey solution. In a cold climate where HEATING is the issue, they can offer advantages, especailly when oil or gas is not readily available. In the sun belt I doubt that Geo is a good investment.

Don't buy novel solutions from an inexperieced dealer. See some installations and talk to some local homeowners about their results.

Lynn
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Thanks Lynn -

I am deffinatly not looking to install a new technology - just because - but i do like to evaluate all the options. I am looking at Geo as i firmly believe that if i can get a good installer - which i think i have finally found, insulate and seal my house, that its worth the upfront cost. That coupled with the direction all the energy costs in the future...I think its the right direction...but .. maybe i am wrong.....

I would love to hear from all the folks on here to really determine what the best distribution system is. My main requirement outside of obvivous heating and cooling, is humidity control. I cannot stand humidity.

Look forward to feedback!!

thanks

Humidity control (IN COOLING)

Get the right sized system. What city and state do you live in? Summer humidity in only removed while the system is cooling. An oversized system doesn't run as long and thus removes less humidity. (Most contractors oversize.) See "Bigger is not better" at: http://www.homeenergy.org/archive/he...95/950509.html
    Or "Right-Sized Air Conditioners" at:
    http://www.energystar.gov/ia/home_im...ondFS_2005.pdf
    I can be more helpful if I know more about the climate you live in.

Lynn
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Quote Originally Posted by doogan123 View Post
    ... 1 - I am doing a large remodel / rebuild and need to decide on a HVAC Distribution system.

2 My main question is on Hi Velocity distribution.
    What are the advantages or disadvantages of this type of system.
    I have space for conventional ducting, altho find the high velocity system interesting.

3 What is the most comfortable and efficient Distribution system?

4 I am considering a DX geo system as my heat/cooling source
    1 Large is a very relative term. Large to you may be 2,000 square feet.
    Large to me is 14,000 square feet.

2 High Velocity system operates on a greater differential temperature and offers better humidty control wtih signficantly higher installation and operating costs.

3 For modern residence at < 2,600 square feet.
    I would recommend one DX system with 3 or 4 zones, 2 stage condenser and variable speed air handler for quiet, high efficiency, low humidity performance.
    Adding a whole house dehumidifier in some locales is also an reasonable option. http://www.thermastor.com/Ultra-Aire-UA-150H/

4 Geo is great for some locales based on weather and fuel cost$.
    However, it is pricey in comparison to a regular DX system.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities