Geothermal Wells

I need some help with a geo design delema. This is only the second geo system I've installed but you gotta start somewhere. Anyhow the original plan was to drill 5 150 ft wells for a total bore length of 750ft. That all changed when we hit a huge mine at 120. So we decided to go with 8 100 ft wells. Now my question is this. Can we series two wells (pair them) in such a way that we have only four supplies and four returns to and from the home? Or is it preffered to bring all eight supplies and all eight returns to and from the house? The first geo I did only called for three wells but we bored them, had the pipe in and grouted before lunch. This one we've been on for three days just drilling, what a nightmare. Help......Please.

Yeah, you can manifold them together as long as you are careful to do it in a way that insures equal flow throughout the system.

Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by contrades View Post
    Can we series two wells (pair them) in such a way that we have only four supplies and four returns to and from the home? Or is it preffered to bring all eight supplies and all eight returns to and from the house?
    if you use a reverse return piping layout you can manifold all of the wells together with one supply and one return from the house to the well field and the system will pretty much be self balancing. only problem is you will loose the capability to isolate circuits by valving them inside the building. you can certainly adopt this type of piping so that you have four supplies and four returns each serving 2 wells. that way you only loose 2 wells out of 8 in the event there is a problem with one circuit.

on large commercial jobs we have a large set of pipes (8 or 10") going from the building to an under ground vault where we have a supply and return manifold that splits it up into small circuits (maybe 2"). each of these circuits can be isolated if a problem occurs and each is piped in a reverse return fashion to a row of maybe 5 to 10 wells.