Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duct Material Choice -- Please Advise

I'm about to choose between two Trane contractors for a new furnace (xv90)/compressor system, both of which appear to me to be very competent/professional. The only difference in the quotes is that contractor A is offering an xl14i with R-401 and "new ducting (R6.5) duct board insulated duct work".

Contractor B is offering an xl14i with R-22 and new ducting "26 gauge metal and 2" FSK". Don't understand what the R value of this equates to??

All else is identical. Contractor A is $500 more expensive, but I can likely get him down to the same price.

What should I do?? If it makes any difference the house is located on coastal Massachusettes. I'm inclined towards contractor A bc (i) I understand that the ductboard will be quieter and in a residential application like this stand up just as well as the Metal, and I "think" it might have a higher R value (?) and (ii) I'd rather go with the newer R-401.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. thanks!

i would get the guy with the metal duct to upgrade to the 410 unit.

if you do end up with a ductboard system i would put a VERY good media filter on it.
    duct cleaners have a knack for destroying ductboard systems.

what is a duct cleaner? we were thinking of getting a trane clean effects since we plan on staying in the hosue for a very long time. Why the preference for the metal? What is the R value of the metal with the 2" insulation on it, and what about the sound factor of the metal? thx.

Why the preference for the metal?
    no fiberglass particles in the airstream with metal, also metal can be made quieter by including canvas connections at the plenum and the use of flex duct at the grills

If it were me I'd go with 5 inch media instead of the CleanEffects.

Checkout all the CleanEffects posts on the IAQ section http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....t=cleaneffects

Not worth the money or the problems from what many say.
    Quote Originally Posted by novice9 View Post
    what is a duct cleaner? we were thinking of getting a trane clean effects since we plan on staying in the hosue for a very long time. Why the preference for the metal? What is the R value of the metal with the 2" insulation on it, and what about the sound factor of the metal? thx.

Duct board should be outlawed.....Anyone using it should be forced to eat it

any suggestions on a specific 5 inch media filter product?

I would Purchase the clean effects.....If you dont the perfect fit frame is the same for the 5'' media or the clean effects should you chose to purchase the filter in the future

Trane PerfectFit 5 inch media is a fraction of the cost and is just fine compared to an expensive EAC.
    Quote Originally Posted by novice9 View Post
    any suggestions on a specific 5 inch media filter product?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Are you having new ducts installed or just replacing the units and associated ducts?

new ducts all the way throgh.

Quote Originally Posted by bell3156 View Post
    I agree. I cringe everytime I see that crap.
    Buy American! The job you save may be your own.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bell3156

I agree. I cringe everytime I see that crap.

Novice9

If you are going to be there a long time as you said, think IAQ or Indoor Air Quality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast