Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dangerous Problems from federal militarization of domestic police forces

This came across my Email box, goes along with a thread I started a while back:

Here is a good article regarding the dangerous problems resulting from the unchecked on-going militarization of the domestic police forces. Innocent people, their pets, and their property are increasingly at risk of harm - including death - from aggressive law enforcement officers viewing themselves as soldiers in an us versus them war, rather than peace officers serving the public. The article suggests solutions to this mission creep and culture corrosion. These problems are largely results of federal policies and incentives. Some see this as an end run around the Posse Comitatus Act, which was intended to limit the powers of Federal government in using federal military personnel to enforce the State laws.

Innocent until proven guilty is no longer in vogue. Be very careful out there.

http://libertycrier.com/drawing-down...1764-284851597

• "I interviewed numerous former police chiefs, police officers and federal officials, all of whom were concerned about the militarization of America’s police forces."

• "Even seemingly innocuous items like camouflage uniforms can reinforce a militaristic culture and mindset. One longtime cop (whose father was also a longtime cop and former police chief) wrote to me in an email, "One of the problems we both saw in the early 90's were departments leaving the formal police uniforms with leather belts and holsters in favor of the dark blue fatigues with nylon mesh belts and holsters. This put police in a more fighting posture."

• "At the very least, lawmakers should demand an end to SWAT mission creep. It's beyond comprehension that such violent tactics would be used to enforce regulatory law."

• "They should also make records of what these raids turned up. If these tactics are going to be used against the public, the public at the very least deserves to know how often they’re used, why they’re used, how often things go wrong, and what sort of results the tactics are getting."

• "All of these policies have infused too many police agencies with a culture of militarism. Neill Franklin is a former narcotics cop in Maryland, who also oversaw training at the state's police academies in the early 2000s. “I think there are two critical components to policing that cops today have forgotten," he says. "Number one, you’ve signed on to a dangerous job. That means that you’ve agreed to a certain amount of risk. You don’t get to start stepping on others’ rights to minimize that risk you agreed to take on. And number two, your first priority is not to protect yourself, it’s to protect those you’ve sworn to protect. But I don’t know how you get police officers today to value those principles again. The ‘us and everybody else’ sentiment is strong today. It’s very, very difficult to change a culture.”

• "Having complete power over another person can be immensely corrupting."

• "Ultimately, we're unlikely to see any real efforts to reform or rollback police militarization until politicians are convinced there is a problem and pay a political price for not addressing it."

Source is reputable.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

couldn't agree more. Ive been preaching about the uniforms for 10 years. Its completely unprofessional for them to be dressed in all black fatigues or camouflage and pull me over for a broken tail light. How am i supposed to respect these people if they look like idiots. So many police now wear t shirts with a screen printed badge on it and the word police screen printed on the back. How unprofessional can you get? Police now days look more like thugs than police. I say bring back the uniforms and maybe they might have a little pride in themselves and act more professional. Swat is totally over used today. Sending in 8 guys looking like a military special forces unit to apprehend an 18 year old smoking a little dope is beyond stupid. read this: http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Arl...219520531.html
    that is what im talking about.
    I know everything about HVAC/R until i go to the next call.

I am sure there was a $$$ interest behind this... I bet someone wants the dirt.

Usually when govt does something stupid and ILLEGAL like this... there is $$$ driving it. Now how to prove that and take down the corrupt govt folks... well citizens since the beginning of time have struggled with this...

One of these days we will wake up and find we live in a country worse than the middle east, and wonder what happened... but we will never admit we were told it was coming for years... by those horrible fruit-cake conservatives.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

the patriot act was the biggest leap forward in destroying the constitution we have ever seen. Its stomps all over the constitution and continues to do so in more and more ways. Look at all these NSA scandals. There not scandals. The government had this planned from the start to better control us. We are being conditioned to giving up our rights for the good of the whole. Sound a little communistic? When a couple guys snap and start shooting people we dont want to blame the guy that snapped. Nope we want to blame the gun. If we just get rid of all the guns it would be so much easier to control everyone and make everyone safe. just forget about that old dust constitution, we know whats good for you. Don't question us or we will send in the police to bust you for having garbage on your property. We will pull you over constantly for traffic violations that were sure we saw. We might even find drugs in your car after we drop them there. If you try and fight for whats right you will lose every time against the government that is supposed to be working for us, not against us.

Quote Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
    the patriot act was the biggest leap forward in destroying the constitution we have ever seen. Its stomps all over the constitution and continues to do so in more and more ways. Look at all these NSA scandals. There not scandals. The government had this planned from the start to better control us. We are being conditioned to giving up our rights for the good of the whole. Sound a little communistic? When a couple guys snap and start shooting people we dont want to blame the guy that snapped. Nope we want to blame the gun. If we just get rid of all the guns it would be so much easier to control everyone and make everyone safe. just forget about that old dust constitution, we know whats good for you. Don't question us or we will send in the police to bust you for having garbage on your property. We will pull you over constantly for traffic violations that were sure we saw. We might even find drugs in your car after we drop them there. If you try and fight for whats right you will lose every time against the government that is supposed to be working for us, not against us.
    +1
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"I say we just nuke them from space, that is the only way to be sure". Winch from ALIENS, forgot her name.

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

My front door is locked. For your personal protection.

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn....are/?hpt=hp_t1

What more can i say. Do what the government wants or they will control you, one way or another. Stop and frisk. Really? Isnt the 4th amendment still in place? O ya of course they have reasonable suspicion. You were walking down "their" sidewalk. Now up against the wall so we can frisk you.

It appears this is not new and is a problem, read on:

Most people are not seeing the day after day of new abuse stories from coast to coast. The LEO community is a sacred cow assumed to be minding their manners. Heck, Boston welcomed an armed invasion and disregard for their rights. That is less likely to happen in Texas. Which is largely why I see the solution being local/state public awareness and mitigation of the corrupting influence of the feds.

Any court action is prone to be narrow in focus. But speaking of such, check out this suit:

The cops could have been shot as any uninvited burglar, but that would be pinned on the resident, if they did not kill him. There is no justice during the scenario that unfolded. Cameras on each cop feeding live to the internet would help, but there would be selective technical issues. This is why Oathkeepers was formed.

I hope this goes to trial and the outcome is favourable to the Constitution... Hope so anyway.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Thought: I wonder what would happen if someone had their house wired with video/audio, and this happened to them... And it went viral on U-tube? Might be the only way to get the public riled up enough to do something about it.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

the following took me 2 min. to find online. So no. The people will not get fed up or riled up and do something about it. Until someone has nothing to lose they will just take the sh!t sandwich and continue on in the heard of sheep. What your seeing in Egypt is a bunch of people with nothing to lose. They dont have fancy houses and cars and go to dinner at fancy restaurants every nite. They really have nothing to lose but there life and how they will be controlled. One side likes to be controlled one way and the other side likes to be controlled another. And they are willing to die to protect what they believe in. Here in the states you dont have many activists because they all end up in jail or broke and destitute. No sir, the American people will not get fed up. Just listen to the sheep herder and he will tell you what he wants you to do next.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Johnston_shooting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Ridge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_siege

http://abcnews.go.com/US/TheLaw/vide...ry?id=11179076

Quote Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
    the following took me 2 min. to find online. So no. The people will not get fed up or riled up and do something about it. Until someone has nothing to lose they will just take the sh!t sandwich and continue on in the heard of sheep. What your seeing in Egypt is a bunch of people with nothing to lose. They dont have fancy houses and cars and go to dinner at fancy restaurants every nite. They really have nothing to lose but there life and how they will be controlled. One side likes to be controlled one way and the other side likes to be controlled another. And they are willing to die to protect what they believe in. Here in the states you dont have many activists because they all end up in jail or broke and destitute. No sir, the American people will not get fed up. Just listen to the sheep herder and he will tell you what he wants you to do next.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Johnston_shooting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Ridge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_siege

http://abcnews.go.com/US/TheLaw/vide...ry?id=11179076
    I realize we have a bunch of wussies when it comes to Constitutional rights... however:

This stuff about not video-taping cops breaking the law is not legal... it will come to a head sooner or later. If it does not... just bend over and kiss your A$$ goodbye... as this country is dead.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

I fly on a regular basis as a part of my job. I have no choice unless I quit my job. I can tell you that you give up all your constitutional rights as soon as you enter any airport. TSA can do as they please with you and the airport or local police will not come to your assistance. The cops are there to back up the TSA. In addition, anyone who takes legal action against the TSA will never get their case to a court room. Cases against the TSA nearly always get sent down the path of legal delays if you can afford to keep pushing the case. Eventually, the case simply vanishes.

You have no actual constitutional right in an airport. This situtation is creeping outside of airports to all forms of public transportation and sporting events and will eventually be the case everywhere. Homeland Security uses VIPER teams (TSA on the roadways) to stop people on interstate highways just because they can. This is just mission creep. They are slowly expanding their power and control. All under the heading of anti-terror protection.

Now Homeland Security is feeding local law enforcement the same idea as well as providing local law enforcement with military gear. I have close relatives who live in a small town of a little over 300 people. The town cop has gotten a nice supply of military gear and two more police vehicles from a grant from Homeland Security. So, what did he do? He recruited a small group of local men to serve as reserve officers under his command. They happen to like their new powers and are starting to become jack asses in the community. All of them have been attending special law enforcement classes (anti-terror) conducted by who else.... Homeland Security. Do you think they are learning how to enforce the law according to the constitution? Yeah Sure!

All soon coming to your community

I think they (law enforcement in general) are getting more aggressive and more adept at dodging the constitution. They are seemingly undeterred by laws, decency, or abhorrent behavior by their colleagues.

"The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast