Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
    Repartition and dual boot is the old way to do it. Nowadays, a better option is to use VM software like Virtualbox or VMware, unless you have very specific requirements like direct hardware access. (That applies to both PCs and Macs.)
    I wasn't going to get technical, I was just pointing out that there are still options. A lot of people think macs are so expensive but really they are not, I paid 1200 for mine back in 2009, I haven't had to spend anything to keep it running as fast as it was the first day I opened the box. There are pros and cons to both sides (apple - PC) both are really good, I just really enjoy the build quality of my macbook. Some PCs out there feel like you are holding a pizza box...

And for day to day computing my macbook is just fine, your pc that you built looks like it could transform into a robot.

I have an iBook that i think is 5 or 6 years old. Its been through a few batteries, but thats it. It taken many tumbles off the table and bed, and even a ride down the stairs with no damage. Its really a top quality machine.

I've never had viruses, spyware, or any of that other garbage that I have to worry about on my windows machine.

The only thing I use my windows desktop for is some PC only software. Everything else I use the iBook. Im going to have to upgrade to a newer model soon because no current software supports the pre-intel processors

The Mac costs more upfront, but I think it's offset by the longer life and the decreased frustration.

Yes, support the homosexual and godless agenda with your macs.......
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    I thought this was general discussion not ARP

Some people aren't happy unless they have something to gripe about.

Haha! They are some overly liberal wanks eh? If your looking for affordable and very few issues.... Ubuntu, its FREE, can run smoothly on old hardware, and there is virtually no viruses or malware that effects linux

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

And FYI, while I'm not a hateful homophobic, I do not support homosexuality or godlessness. I use a Mac at home and to run media at my church, and there is nothing wrong with that. Dig enough into ANY company, product or institution and you WILL find something somebody or some practice you disagree with. If I had enough time and the desire to do so, I'm sure I could find hundreds of items in YOUR home where somebody at that company had a moral stance opposite to yours.

While I do enjoy a good discussion about religion or politics, I deliberately avoide the ARP section, I prefer those conversations to take place over a coffee or beer.

Well this took an interesting turn.

Couple things, have no interest in a desktop.

I know the performance of the hardware can be matched by pc's for less money but what I'm more interested in is the interface, ease of use, reliability and the use of things like icloud with other apple devices, like my phone.

There was a time about 10-12 years ago I would have been all over building a desktop because I was into gaming, counterstrike was my jam from the first one and subsequent updates, still the best FPS of all time for it's simplicity and awesome online gameplay. I haven't played any games in about 4 years and if I do I would get one of the consoles coming out, I know that's a sacrilege but it's just easier to buy a console that will be relevant for 5-8 years than worry about constant computer upgrades.

If I end up getting a laptop for work purposes, which I will at some point, I'll be using it for spreadsheets, wrightsoft duct design, and some instructional uses. I imagine it will be easier just to pick up a PC, like a toughbook, for that but if macs can be easily modified to run those things I would probably consider just using it.

Corny, feel free to debate and discuss homosexuality as much as you want in the ARP but it has no business in a General Discussion open forum thread about computers.

I went with the older macbook because it has a cd drive. The new MacBooks and airs don't have cd drives (I don't think). Get a Mac, you won't regret it. Especially since you have an iPhone. And for work an ipad does everything I need in the field. I want an Apple TV next.

Yeah it's sounding pretty good. My mom just got a Mac so I'll get a trail run to.

Where are the best places to get used or refurbished macs, I looked on the apple site and some of their higher end ones were 25% off the normal retail price with a one year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ReferYankee View Post
    Haha! They are some overly liberal wanks eh? If your looking for affordable and very few issues.... Ubuntu, its FREE, can run smoothly on old hardware, and there is virtually no viruses or malware that effects linux
    Good point. I built my own computer for $800 in parts... i7 CPU, 32GB of RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD, aftermarket casing fans (quieter), aftermarket CPU cooler, optical drive for when I wanna go old-school, added a dual-port Gigabit adapter, but I am running Linux Mint on it as it runs a normal desktop environment instead of getting all touchscreeny like Ubuntu's Unity and Microsoft's Windows 8. Also been running Linux Mint on some older hardware to stretch its useful life by a few more years.

If you guys want to give it a try, you can download a bootable DVD and run it "live" under Virtualbox.

Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    Yeah it's sounding pretty good. My mom just got a Mac so I'll get a trail run to.

Where are the best places to get used or refurbished macs, I looked on the apple site and some of their higher end ones were 25% off the normal retail price with a one year warranty.
    I crossed my fingers and got one off eBay from a top rated seller for less than 1/4 what a new one costs. Just be careful about what you're buying and who you're buying from.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    I went with the older macbook because it has a cd drive. The new MacBooks and airs don't have cd drives (I don't think). Get a Mac, you won't regret it. Especially since you have an iPhone. And for work an ipad does everything I need in the field. I want an Apple TV next.
    I don't really care for the MacBook Air, its quite expensive, and could operate better. Unless you REALLY need a notebook that's a little thinner and lighter than a standard MacBook, I don't feel it's worth the extra $

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast