Plumbers now our competition...

Plumbers now our competition...

Sorry, no pictures, but the story is so worth it...

I was at one of my rehabs earlier getting the soil line camera tested... With bad results... Anyway, the guy running the camera was admiring my HVAC install. He then began to tell me how he's installing a system in his house to replace a boiler. He knows how to sweat lines... It's not really that hard to install a furnace and A/C. Not compared to being a plumber...

He really likes the foil lined cardboard duct material (thermo-pan) - it really makes running ducts easy.

He used 3/4 and 1/2 copper waterlines with adapters to 3/8 all soldered because that's what he had around... 1/2" flows more than 3/8 anyway right? It's more better.

He wanted me to go out and fill the system; he bought a dry unit because he doesn't have a license and now nobody wants to fill it because they want to make money installing the system. I was torn, I REALLY wanted pictures but no way in hell do I want ANYTHING to do with this. So after listening and uh-huh-ing him to death I explained how badly he messed up. He got a bit salty with me but he's not deterred, he says it'll work.... He'll use 134a if he has to... It's all the same anyway, just different size bottles.

I wanted to ask if he had the proper 1/4" per 10' pitch on the suction line...

I think he's from NJ... Also, if I get any pictures I'll drop everything to post them. If anyone else gets pictures I want to know about it...

and we need a licensed plumber for a water valve on a humidifier. it is sad , is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by heat9273 View Post
    and we need a licensed plumber for a water valve on a humidifier. it is sad , is it not?
    Yes it is. And we have to hire a licensed plumber to pipe in condensate drains on evap coils and put ice machine drains on. Half the time they do absolute horsesh** work, and do everything wrong. Even though the ice machine has a big sticker on the back showing how to do the drains, they will do it wrong.

Thankfully we've finally found a plumbing contractor that employs smart people and does good work.

Quote Originally Posted by cobra2411 View Post
    Sorry, no pictures, but the story is so worth it...

I was at one of my rehabs earlier getting the soil line camera tested... With bad results... Anyway, the guy running the camera was admiring my HVAC install. He then began to tell me how he's installing a system in his house to replace a boiler. He knows how to sweat lines... It's not really that hard to install a furnace and A/C. Not compared to being a plumber...

He really likes the foil lined cardboard duct material (thermo-pan) - it really makes running ducts easy.

He used 3/4 and 1/2 copper waterlines with adapters to 3/8 all soldered because that's what he had around... 1/2" flows more than 3/8 anyway right? It's more better.

He wanted me to go out and fill the system; he bought a dry unit because he doesn't have a license and now nobody wants to fill it because they want to make money installing the system. I was torn, I REALLY wanted pictures but no way in hell do I want ANYTHING to do with this. So after listening and uh-huh-ing him to death I explained how badly he messed up. He got a bit salty with me but he's not deterred, he says it'll work.... He'll use 134a if he has to... It's all the same anyway, just different size bottles.

I wanted to ask if he had the proper 1/4" per 10' pitch on the suction line...

I think he's from NJ... Also, if I get any pictures I'll drop everything to post them. If anyone else gets pictures I want to know about it...
    Just think if he charges the thing up with 134a, and it actually works!!!! And he decides its a lucrative new line of work for him. And he starts going around installing these systems in people's houses all over the place....

Make sure He has the Purge Tee in the rite place or its going to be hell to get all the air out !

Quote Originally Posted by cobra2411 View Post
    I think he's from NJ......
    Don't give him my number.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    Just think if he charges the thing up with 134a, and it actually works!!!! And he decides its a lucrative new line of work for him. And he starts going around installing these systems in people's houses all over the place....
    Give THEM my number lol
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

If he's installing a whole new system, shouldn't it be 410a?
    Isn't illegal to install a new complete R22 system?

The way it sounded he got stuff piece meal and got a dry compressor because he needed a license to get a charged one.
    -=David=-

What is a "rehab" and what is a "soil line camera"?
    In 1959, Cuba wanted "CHANGE" too.

Doesn't sound like he's much competition

Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    What is a "rehab" and what is a "soil line camera"?
    soil line camera i believe is a sewer cam. and a rehab is the run down houses that are being rebuilt or rehabilitating the house

Quote Originally Posted by RDorr92788 View Post
    soil line camera i believe is a sewer cam. and a rehab is the run down houses that are being rebuilt or rehabilitating the house
    Correct-a-mundo...

Here's the drain and the sewer-cam footage. I added the green and red circles. The green is the pipe the camera is in, the red is where that pipe should be connected to... It's 3" cast iron BTW.

I like that term, sewer-cam, it sounds like some reality show about Camden or Chester or any other run down crappy city...

This is what $3500 looks like... That's my cost and I provide the holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -=David=-