Dual Fuel System - Is Trane Fuel Kit Required?

As a new member, let me first thank everyone in advance for their help.

I have a dual fuel system - an oil-burning furnace and a 13 year-old Trane heat pump which I'm replacing. I have gotten two quotes from two very reputable service providers.

However, shop A gave me a quote that included a Trane XL803 thermostat AND the Fossil Fuel Kit (plus bonnet switch & outdoor sensor). Shop B gave me a quote with a Honeywell 6000 thermostat but no fuel kit.

After reading the forums here and doing a bit of searching, it appears that with the XL803, the fuel kit would not be necessary (even though they spec'd it) but that with the 6000, it would indeed be necessary. But I'm a novice and don't know for certain. so I'm wondering, under what circumstances is the fuel kit actually needed? And do I need it?

Secondly, between the two - the XL803 and the Honeywell 6000 - which is the better choice for my situation (although I believe the XL803 is a rebadged Honeywell)?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

-CaptCiak

With the 803, the dual fuel kit would not be needed. Nice that they are using the plenum sensor. I do believe the 6000 series would need the PLUS103 or similar dual fuel kit.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    With the 803, the dual fuel kit would not be needed. Nice that they are using the plenum sensor. I do believe the 6000 series would need the PLUS103 or similar dual fuel kit.
    Thanks for the help Loonie...that's what I thought. Now I just need to figure out why each spec'd out the opposite of what they should have.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post

One other question...why do you describe it as "nice" that they are using a plenum sensor? What else might thaty use? and why is a plenum sensor a good thing (to prevent the HP from operating when the furnace is on?)?

If I were putting it in,

I would install the duel fuel kit. Both the Trane thermostat and Honeywell's version of it offer you only a high balance point setting. This setting is the outdoor temp at which the thermostat switches from heat pump (the cheap heat) to the gas heat (the expensive heat). Let's say you set this at 40 degrees, when the outdoor temp is 40 or more, the heat pump and ONLY the heat pump will run (no matter how cold your home gets). Turning off your heat pump at 40 robs you of the savings from the heat pump for a large portion of the year, but setting it lower could result in your home getting cold. Now if you install a duel fuel kit, and set the thermostat up for it, you can set both a high AND a low balance point. Let's say you set the low one at 15 degrees and the high one at 40. Now when the temps are above 15, your heat pump will run and only when the stat senses a pending drop in the home's temperature will it shut off and the gas funace will come on. Below 15, your gas furnace will start automatically, this lets the heat pump work for a very great portion of the year. Above 40, only the heat pump will run keeping the gas furnace off. This is how I set mine up and it works great.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do.".... Jerry Garcia
    "You just have to decide if you're a Tigger or an Eeyore,..I think you know where I stand on the great Tigger/Eeyore debate." Prof. Randy Pausch

Forget the clunker dual fuel kits. The Vision Pro IAQ (no Trane version) does exactly what lbf is suggesting!

The plenum sensor is good with an oil furnace to keep the air from getting too hot during a defrost. A 2nd one could be used to keep the HP off when the furnace is hot.