Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by redback View Post
    According to the testo tool, the FP leak testers were tested in a room ambient of 22C or 72F

Here are photos of a leak i found on a large 15 foot freezer coil in a freezer room at -22C, the heating element has worn a tiny hole in coil.

leak testers should be tested in the field, in freezers at low temps, or on a roof at high temps.
    That is the challenge with any test or instrument, many of them are designed without understanding how or the environment that they will be used, and many of them are used in environments for which they were not designed to work.

I agree that everything should be field tested, but when comparing instruments they need to be tested to a standard. If they are not tested to a standard, it becomes a relative test. Consider this, is the leak detector cold or is it just used in a cold environment, if only used in a cold environment, how warm is it before it comes into the cold environment, how long is it used in the cold environment. If it is pre cooled, how cold is it and what type of batteries as that would also affect the test. If you can describe a test that you would like to see that is repeatable, I would be glad to see how the detectors perform.

As Fieldpiece manufacturers most test instruments they make for the HVAC industry, it was a fair test. That is the environment that they will likely be used.
    JLB,

Fieldpiece touts on their web site "Test Tools HVAVRRRRR Pros Trust"

And this advertisement was what got me to buy a SRL2 LOL

http://fieldpiece.com/tech-articles/...he-supermarket

Its all fair Jim.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

I do not want to get side tracked on fairness as much as focus on a standardized test. My soap bubbles do not work at -22 degrees F either. I would be glad to do some other tests. The Fieldpiece says it is rated down to 32 degrees. We can see if it has the same sensitivity at that temperature.
    JLB,

FWIW -22°(C) isn't that cold but SuperBlue is rated to -30°- 200°F which is nice for discharge lines too.

http://refrigtech.com/Product/Leak_D.../superblu.html

I buy super blue year round. Ticks me off having frozen leak solution in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    FWIW -22°(C) isn't that cold but SuperBlue is rated to -30°- 200°F which is nice for discharge lines too.

http://refrigtech.com/Product/Leak_D.../superblu.html

Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    I buy super blue year round. Ticks me off having frozen leak solution in the winter.
    X2 That's the Best stuff

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    X2 That's the Best stuff
    Big Blue is the best if you are working in the ideal temp. range.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

And super blue in any temp. OR any that I have found here in Maine.
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Big Blue is the best if you are working in the ideal temp. range.

I didnt read all the posts , but how a combustion analysis and how to make the corrections if some of the readings are off. I read some posts were guys purchased new a CA, iam one of them. Maybe basic for some but a nice refresher doesnt hurt. Winter is coming

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345