Low Humidity -No condensate from line

We are having low humidity conditions here in Southern California, like 10 per cent. Can't measure the inside humidity because I don't have the instrument (will get it soon), all windows were open so the humidity level must be low.after 1 hour of unit running I'm not seeing any condensate from the drain line ? could this be a consequence of low humidity ?

yes

with 10% RH, the dewpoint is way below the temp of the coil

If everything else checked out OK I'd say yes. What moisture is condensing on the coil is probably being evaporated right back into the dry air stream.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Yup.
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.

Thanks

Great, this forum is awsome....

Quote Originally Posted by summerblues View Post
    We are having low humidity conditions here in Southern California, like 10 per cent.

Send that there coil to Houston I can fill it up with humidity, must have been 110% today.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

that is one of the most common complaints i hear in the vegas area
    from the transplants here. have seen this 2 &3 months at a time.
    wish bill could send us some of his so these people would be happy

Quote Originally Posted by mrbillpro View Post
    Send that there coil to Houston I can fill it up with humidity, must have been 110% today.
    It ain't all that much drier up here in DFW...seems the Gulf is really pumping the wet stuff up into our state this spring. Dew point is 66 outside right now...Houston is 70. Muggy stuff, but my semi-tweaked a/c is handling it just fine!

I used to run service in Southern California. I know how dry it can get there. Before I understood psychrometrics better it used to puzzle me why suction lines out there would not sweat even though they were plenty cold. I grew up in Texas and not only saw suction lines sweat but at times grow black mildew on the suction line driers.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

East/weat coast very dry. The humidity pump is working today. TB
    http://www.weather.com/maps/maptype/...nts_large.html

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post

It ain't all that much drier up here in DFW...seems the Gulf is really pumping the wet stuff up into our state this spring. Dew point is 66 outside right now...Houston is 70. Muggy stuff, but my semi-tweaked a/c is handling it just fine!
    "just fine" ...
    Does that mean the Relative Humidity inside < 48%?

Even 70'F Dew Point would only really be considered
    as a normal Summer muggy period &
    NOT a major performance challenge for
    proper operating A/C equipment in SE US locales.

i.e. 70'F Dew Point
    92' F DB / 76'F WB / 49% R.H.
    111 Grains per pound / 39.5 BTU per lb Enthalpy
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    "just fine" ...
    Does that mean the Relative Humidity inside < 48&#37;?

Even 70'F Dew Point would only really be considered
    as a normal Summer muggy period &
    NOT a major performance challenge for
    proper operating A/C equipment in SE US locales.

i.e. 70'F Dew Point
    92' F DB / 76'F WB / 49% R.H.
    111 Grains per pound / 39.5 BTU per lb Enthalpy
    Well, I suppose an outdoor dew point around 66 - 70 degrees or so ain't nothing for you Floridians...that's why we Texans don't live there!

Seriously, compared to how my system performed before I tweaked on it, it is now able to handle a "not major performance challenge" like our current conditions... just fine! There are many systems out there that fall flat while under "not major performance challenge" conditions...mine was one of them due to the typical installation techniques common to our area. Equipment sizing may still be an issue...that's on my list to quantify and subsequently work with.

Interesting to note that right now, Corpus Christi, Texas is running a higher dew point (73) than Miami, Florida (49). Y'all havin' a dry spell in them thar gator state?
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    Interesting to note that right now, Corpus Christi, Texas is running a higher dew point (73) than Miami, Florida (49). Y'all havin' a dry spell in them thar gator state?
    Yep, this is the dry season here...and not sure if you've heard, but there's over 200 brush fires currently burning across the state. I'm at least 30-40 miles from the nearest fire, but the skies here are filled with smoke, as is the air. It's almost as if it was a white-out in terms of fog conditions, but it's smoke.