plugged liquid line filter drier

plugged liquid line filter drier

today i was working on a trane packaged 5 ton a/c only roof top (R-22) and once i had the unit running with my gauges on my suction pressure was reading 90 psig and my head was about normal 220 psig (71 degree day) my sub cooling was low and my superheat was high i calculated a 13 degree diff. across my liquid line drier. so i recovered the refrigerant, brazed out the old drier and brazed in a new one pressures and temps were looking normal. what i dont understand is why did my head pressure remain the same. i am learning every day so any suggestions that would help me understand this situtaion.

Quote Originally Posted by redmondtech View Post
    today i was working on a trane packaged 5 ton a/c only roof top (R-22) and once i had the unit running with my gauges on my suction pressure was reading 90 psig and my head was about normal 220 psig (71 degree day) my sub cooling was low and my superheat was high i calculated a 13 degree diff. across my liquid line drier. so i recovered the refrigerant, brazed out the old drier and brazed in a new one pressures and temps were looking normal. what i dont understand is why did my head pressure remain the same. i am learning every day so any suggestions that would help me understand this situtaion.
    Help me understand your question..you want to know why your head pressure was the same before and after you pulled the drier???
    you didnt state the pressures after you pulled the drier and reclaimed it.
    what were your pressures???

Restrictions can exhibit normal head pressure depending on the volume of refrigerant allowed passed the drier. If this system cleaning device had been plugged to the point of frosting then your high side could have had very different readings.

Blessings.

Pernjub

driers should be cutout not brazed out

your right i just noticed he typed that,when you braze out the old one you drive the moisture out of it with the high temp of the torch..good catch