I need the Scotsman Guru's!

I am working on a CME656AE-32(A-I THINK) and havin nuthin but trouble with the thing.

I have done a serious clean on it, removed the C.F.M. and cleaned the coil and checked the refrigeration. This thing will run and make ice for a while and then will trip out on a solid refrigeration light. After resetting it it may run another few hours before tripping out again!

After going through a lot of headache with the tech support guys he said I have a bad expansion valve. He asked me to give him the superheat...more accurately he asked for the suction pressure and then the temp at the txv bulb (38psig and 43*)which was a 5 superheat; does anyone know what the superheat is supposed to be on these machines?

Oh yeah, he thought at first it was a thermistor so he had me check the temp at the sensor...I had 153-155*, he didn't act like that was out of line too bad but gave me an uneasy feeling with hes responce...is that an alright temp?

Thanks,

CW.
    "I don't care what you could get it off the net for, they wont warranty it and neither will I"!

And if you don't like my "flat rate up front pricing" try and negotiate the price on that big mac you just bought pricing is exactly the same method!

4-5 on the bulb for OEM is OK. 155*D.L.T. after cleaning the condenser is fine. How bad off were the OEM air fiters ? Did you go to Pro-Tech to scope the tech manual on Scotsman's web site ? What was your head and B.P. during harvest ?
    FEN

Be carefull with their tech support.They almost got me replace a wrong part for an easy to figure out problem.I am not a scottsman guru but that 5F superheat sounds good to me.the inlet valves are very susceptable..sometimes it can stay open and overfill and cause a refrigeration trip.

I don't know what the head and suction was during harvest as I never thought to look. I don't do alot of ice machines so some steps I might not know to look for thus the reason for tech support.

I just didn't "feel right" about this answer on the superheat so wanted to ask around here for some of you guys who do this more than me.

Will go and look at the tech site you suggested - Thanks!

Wannafreeze, you talking about the water inlet valve?

CW.
    "I don't care what you could get it off the net for, they wont warranty it and neither will I"!

And if you don't like my "flat rate up front pricing" try and negotiate the price on that big mac you just bought pricing is exactly the same method!

Both Manitowoc and Scotsman H20 valves have some issues. In a pinch I've used a Many lower end with a 24V Scotty coil. Was out in the boonies at the time.
    FEN

Quote Originally Posted by citywide service View Post
    I don't know what the head and suction was during harvest as I never thought to look. I don't do alot of ice machines so some steps I might not know to look for thus the reason for tech support.

I just didn't "feel right" about this answer on the superheat so wanted to ask around here for some of you guys who do this more than me.

Will go and look at the tech site you suggested - Thanks!

Wannafreeze, you talking about the water inlet valve?

CW.
    yes water inlet valve.

scotsman

I believe that machine has two evaps so theres another txv. Make sure the back evap is freezing and ice pattern is even. I've had a scotsman where the back coil was not doind anything and it was hard to tell with just the front panel off.

Are both evaps are making ice, and the cubes are good size, and the water inlet valve is not leaking through?
    Then consider any number of things causing long freeze cycles or unit shutdown.
    Bad condenser fan or bad press sw for fan, look for loose wire connections even.
    I had a new Scotty keep shutting off till I found bad wire connection on compressor overload casuing the pump to overheat and shut down after a few run cycles.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

A solid refrigeration light is maximum freeze time exceeded. Check the pressures, 404A usually starts the cycle at around 45-50 and finishes around 25. head pressure around 250-290. The ice shouldn't be sticking together. If the water valve isn't leaking thru you can lower the water level by lower the stand pipe (the drain in the sump) by turning it. As a last resort you can lower the water level by adding a displacement device ( I use beer or pop cans). Some of these CME machines just don't want to behave.