Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Arrow

I could not convince my 83-year old mother, who I am currently the pseudo-caregiver for, to elect the more energy saving components such as two-stage or a heat-pump. I did, however, convince her to pay the 20% higher asking price to the contractor who performed the better load calculations, who appeared better learned, trained, equipped and had the better track record with the BBB.

Here is what she signed up for:

1. RGLN07EAMER 80% AFUE Super Quiet 80
    2. RAND030JAZ 13.0 SEER
    3. RCFAHM3017 Coil
    4. Install new refrigerant tubing
    5. Resize the main return to 14" and the family room return to 8"
    6. Resize the main return filter grille to 20" X 20"
    7. Clean all supply ducts (camera used).

I will be publishing some before and after pics.

Couple weeks ago while her salesman was out, a customer called and was put through to me. She asked which system of the 3 brands he quoted her I would suggest. I suggested the identical system to what your Mom is getting. She ended up going that way. Salesman was pissed at me, he gets some kickbacks from a distributor of a different brand he was pushing. But I think she got the best of the what he was offering.

Here ya go Gator!

The job I mentioned. Not a WOP job but good for what they had to work with. I hate jogging the flue like that but only way to be able to pull the media out. The stack on the left isn't cooled but it wasn't before and even with the short Rheem furnace, no way to lift up the coil box to get under it.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Lightbulb

Thanks for sharing the pics. I'll be back soon with mine.

This system that you recommended for a customer is what all 3 Rheem contractors here initially recommended. Two, of whom, are Rheem Team members. We live right on the border of two different "heating/cooling regions" (for lack of a better way to describe it). Oh, I forgot to mention

8. Extended ten-year parts and labor warranty on the remainder of the system.

BTW, the extended warranty and duct cleaning were added incentives to sign-on.

Hmm

Houston: We have a few small problems.

1) This 45 year old home has all metal ductwork. During the conversation with the sales person, I recall him stating that when they enlarge the returns, they would be wrapping it with a good insulating material. Today, they show up with Flexiduct and the sales person insists that this is the way residential installations are handled while metal duct tubing is reserved for commercial installations. I thought that I recall reading somewhere that metal ductwork was preferred to Flexiduct.

2) For some reason, that I can't figure out, I thought the contractor of 20 years ago failed to insulate the supply trunk in the crawl space so I contracted to insulate the trunk. When we looked under the house today, there to my amazement is an insulated trunk. I must have had a pre-senior moment. However, the sales person wants to apply a new layer of insulation stating that it is much better than that which was installed 20 years ago. My impression is that he wants to make the money rather than adjust for time and materials. Is it worth applying the extra layer of newer insulation even though the supply ducts have the same 20-year old insulation or should I ask for an adjustment?

Perhaps, a trade off could be getting the metal duct tubing for the returns in place of having an extra layer of new insulation put on the supply trunk.

Lesson learned, get ALL details in writing.

Thoughts, feedback? Thanks.

Since you are going to look at Trane I recommend the XLI series. The warranty is 2 years labor, 10 years on all parts when installed as a system including thermo, and any aircleaners if you opt to have one. I f you do choose RUUD or RHEEM it too is a good choice, I had a RUUD for almost 20 years only got rid of it because the condenser base pan rusted out na dwas only about a 10 SEER and things started getting a little shaky, it still ran.

Thumbs up

Hello guys:

Though it's been a long time, I wanted to stop in and say thanks for all of the useful advice. Between a terminal illness in the family and legal issues stemming from the contractor falling through the ceiling and not facilitating proper repairs, I got a bit side tracked. Nonetheless, thanks again for all of the help.

CANES

Your welcome.
    And to hear of your families health troubles.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234