Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dngtig View Post
    Why are you ruling out the York? Because someone on this site said Rheem is better? I personaly do not like Rheem units. I also sell York products and would recommend them over any other. If you buy a York unit before June 30 you can get 10 years parts and labor warrenty.http://www.yorkupg.com/homeowners/seasonal_promo.asp
    Essentially, my final decision is going to be based on a balance of comfort features, reliability and price. At this point I am leaning toward Rheem based on these factors as the supporters/sellers of Rheem have given me objective and comparative data for my consideration. This data, for the most part, has gone unchallenged thus far. While promotions and rebates are nice marketing incentives, I tend to believe that in the long run you get what you pay for. If you have some comparative data to offer along with your opinion, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Move up to the York 8T series, and get a lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger and compressor, and 10 years on all other parts, automatically. ( Complete system, including thermostat must be York.)

If you do that though, get a duel fuel system.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

O K, it appears we are about to go to 'brand wars'...

My reasoning for supporting my brand is that I install, service it, and have years of experience with it. Having said that:

I would get the Rheem RGPR furnace in the appropriate size. Then the professional grade RPNE-A series 13 SEER heat pump (if you choose to go with the newer R-410A refrigerant; the model # is RPNL-A and expect the contractor to say you need a new lineset). This unit includes auto-reset high and low pressure switches, a TXV metering device at the HP, and a limited 10 year warranty.

My experience with RUUD (same as Rheem), the products are built well and last.

I would install a 5" media filter system (AirBear, Honeywell, etc), and you could use the Honeywell "IAQ" thermostat system (it will act as the dual-fuel controller). Whatever route you go on the dual-fuel controller, be sure to have the contractor install the outdoor and supply air temperature sensors.

One last thing: The Rheem outdoor unit is the only low profile unit on the market. It is quiet!!!!!

Be SURE you get a contractor that understands how to install and set up this dual-fuel system. And that knowledge will cost you more. The cheapest guy will almost guaranteed not know what he/she is doing.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    O K, it appears we are about to go to 'brand wars'...

One last thing: The Rheem outdoor unit is the only low profile unit on the market. It is quiet!!!!!

Hey, the 8T is only half the height of a house.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Move up to the York 8T series, and get a lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger and compressor, and 10 years on all other parts, automatically. ( Complete system, including thermostat must be York.)

If you do that though, get a duel fuel system.
    I'm looking at an Affinity system. Is that York thermostat a re-branded version of one of the manufacturers? How does it compare to a Vision Pro IAQ?

AM

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Hey, the 8T is only half the height of a house.
    You know BeenThere,

I suspect one of these days someone will build/market another low-profile unit. There seems to be a void in the market for competition in that area.

I am not familiar with the York line. Maybe someday I will get a chance to learn about it. All I know about it is that I saw one that had the GA bulldogs colors... and I am not a GA fan...

What I do know from personal experience is that my RUUD equipment is quiet and reliable.

I suspect you are just as good with your York equipment too...

But what we both know (and I hope the HO understands) is that installation is much more important that manufacturer's bells and whistles. As we all know: The best equipment installed sloppily will not work as well as average equipment installed properly.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    I'm looking at an Affinity system. Is that York thermostat a re-branded version of one of the manufacturers? How does it compare to a Vision Pro IAQ?

AM
    Rebranded Honeywell. Vision Pro 8000 is an option. Don't know from memory if York relabels the VP IAQ.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Rebranded Honeywell. Vision Pro 8000 is an option. Don't know from memory if York relabels the VP IAQ.
    I don't think the IAQ is rebranded yet, but the Branch said if we bought it through them it qualified for the extended warranty.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post

I suspect you are just as good with your York equipment too...

But what we both know (and I hope the HO understands) is that installation is much more important that manufacturer's bells and whistles. As we all know: The best equipment installed sloppily will not work as well as average equipment installed properly.

Its not as tall as I made it out, but its tall enough. (Trane 19i is taller )
    I wish they made a low profile.

Yes, install is key. Top of the line equipment doesn't make up for a poor installation.
    Contractor locator map

Question

Could someone tell me if the Rheem RGLQ series is still being made? It is a two-stage downflow Super Quiet 80 in their Classic Plus series. Thanks.

Nice furnace, current model.

Hmm

I am now giving some thought to the Rheem RANL series 13.0 SEER that uses R-410A. My thoughts are based on my hopes of getting 15 to 20 years of mostly trouble-free service from the new system. In short, while I'd like to go with the up and coming refrigerant, I naturally feel more comfortable with the tried and seemingly more mature R-22 based technology. However, I am confused by the pro and con arguments I've read in this forum of going with an R-410A based system today. Aside from the higher costs of an R-410A based system and assuming equal quality in the components to match the higher pressures, I suppose that choosing a qualified R-410A contractor is going to be key to a R-410 system without leaks or contaminated lubricating oil.

Quote Originally Posted by bout_dem_Gators View Post
    I am now giving some thought to the Rheem RANL series 13.0 SEER that uses R-410A. My thoughts are based on my hopes of getting 15 to 20 years of mostly trouble-free service from the new system. In short, while I'd like to go with the up and coming refrigerant, I naturally feel more comfortable with the tried and seemingly more mature R-22 based technology. However, I am confused by the pro and con arguments I've read in this forum of going with an R-410A based system today. Aside from the higher costs of an R-410A based system and assuming equal quality in the components to match the higher pressures, I suppose that choosing a qualified R-410A contractor is going to be key to a R-410 system without leaks or contaminated lubricating oil.
    Not meaning to beat a dead horse, but I think you are learning...

The KEY to residential HVAC (well most ALL hvac) is INSTALLATION!!!!!!!!!!!! Be SURE your contractor both knows how and is dedicated to doing a quality job. And you will pay more for this. But you will reap the rewards for years (decades) to come.

Best to you, now go find yourself a good contractor.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast