Question AprilAire 2200 increasing air circulation?

Our house is 4 years old and we've been frustrated by rooms further away from the HVAC unit are cold in the winter and hot in the summer. There's barely and air coming out of the vents in those rooms.

A technician was doing a spring check-up on the system and said the out-take vent was too small for the amount of air the system was trying to blow through it, (it takes a standard 16x25x1 filter). He said we basically have the largest system you can have in a residential house and we probably should have had 2 systems rather than one. He suggested installing an Aprilaire 2200 air cleaner system which would allow more air to flow and increase the circulation throughout the house. He said the rooms which had little airflow would be dramatically better.

Does this sound reasonable? The filter size on the 2200 looks to be only a few inches bigger than my current filter size...would this be enough to cause "dramatic air circulation improvement?"
    Many thanks!

I don't see it improving the amount of airflow but will give you cleaner air,

If you have a 5 ton furnace you should have a return on both sides of the furnace. The furnace can not pull enough air through one side, meaning two returns and two Aprilaire cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by coolu View Post
    If you have a 5 ton furnace you should have a return on both sides of the furnace. The furnace can not pull enough air through one side, meaning two returns and two Aprilaire cleaners.

That's basically what my technician was saying...I only have 1 return. He claimed the AprilAir 2200 would help alleviate the fact that the furnace couldn't pull enough air through...does that sound legit?

airsome Guest
    Aprilaire 2200 has approx 80 square feet of surface area. This means air flow restriction is reduced tremendously. Yes, the greater the surface area of the filter, the less restriction there is to air flow.

It will be an improvement.
    It will be a quick fix.
    It will probably not get you all the way to where you want to be,
    but other solutions will require relatively much longer installation
    times and larger expenditures!

If you are thinking about a cheaper quick-fix filter, don't.
    You will not be happy.

If you end up making more improvements to the system, you can still keep the 2200
    without regret.

There is much you can do, but if time and money are factors, go for it.
    If money is not a factor, then start over and do it right.
    Last edited by airsome; 05-04-2007 at 09:36 PM. Reason: more info

I think there are other issues that need to be addressed before you install the air cleaner.

Have the tech take blower door off, turn on the blower for a few minutes and see how much air he gets?

I bet not much more.