Kanto Seiki Oilmatic

Have any of you guys worked on Kanto Seiki Oilmatic Oil Coolers. I am working on two of them now, Model # KTV-5C-HTMI. The first one had a tripped contactor overload for the compressor and the air cooled condenser and fluid submerged evaporator was very dirty. The condenser was packed with oil and dust and the evaporator had a ¾“ layer of metal sludge over it. I removed the cooler from the reservoir tank, cleaned the coils and tightened all of the electrical connections. There is no access valves to connect gauges to, at least not Standard ¼“ gauges. It does have some sort of access fitting on the suction line, but I have never seen one like this before. Put the unit back in place, wired it up, started it and it was cooling. Then I noticed that the cap tube was icing up where it connects to the evaporator coil, but the suction line was not. Looks like there may be an obstruction in the cap tube. Its not cooling the fluid very well either, the fluid was 91 deg. F and after 3 hours, came down to 88 deg. F. Is it normal for the cap tube to ice up on these units?

The other Oil Cooler was in the same condition, but also had a leak, I put a line tap valve in, recover about 8 oz’s. of R-22 and installed braze in access valves on the liquid and suction lines. The Name Plate is messed up and I couldn’t tell how much R-22 it holds, Looks like it may be 600 g. This is most likely a critically charged unit, so I would like to weigh in the refrigerant. Any idea how much it holds?

best of luck ..
    why work on Crap you have a slim chance of fixin ' ?//?

Kanto Seiki Oilmatic

Dear Slimwoodie,
    Because this brand is an "orphan" used on a Japanese machine tool that is one reason why. A second reason is that lead times for a domestic replacement are so long and production loss is a big factor in manufacturing. Has your bubble burst yet?
    chiller_slueth

Dear Hands:
    Be certain you install a suction line access fitting that will fit your gage. Jerald-Brenda (J-B) adaptors are available for this tall mushroom looking depressor. The Kanto Seiki access fitting is the same thread as any SAE (Society Automotive Engineers) 1/4 inch flare fitting.
    Evaporator temperatures are medium to low-high in this brand of chiller using R-22 or R-407C. Keep an ammeter on one of the three phase compressor leads while charging. If you want to measure superheat turn the temperature control adjustment low enough to keep the compressor running. Kanto Seiki units typically "short-cycle" compared to residential air conditioning. That is why the 3 phase compressor application. An unlimited number of starts per hour without killing the compressor motor is the result.
    chiller_slueth

Hands,
    The tag will give you Kg for the charge just convert. most of them use a hot gas bypass
    valve that usualy leakes or on the inside of the suction line 180 degree bend to the compressor,and my favorite liquid line just out of the condenser,only leaks on high head
    Its a pain to get to and replace the filter/dryer but do it every time!!
    take your time and do it right,these chillers are usuale attached to a very expensive mill.

Warning make sure the flow thru the heat exchanger and oil viscocity is correct.
    Good luck!

Ive just began getting into working on industrial chillers and started working on some Kanto Seki oilmatic aircooled chillers, my question is where do you find replacement parts for this brand chiller. I'm having a hard time getting parts. Iv'e got a bad compressor contactor brand Fuji electric I looked online looks lke theres one in NJ ill try contacting them.

A starting point for charge weight with R-22 or R-407C refrigerants and oil chillers build in the Orient is:
    Match your charge weight in grams to the electrical wattage rating of the chiller compressor. Examples: KTC-3 is a 500 or 600 watt compressor motor; KTC-5 is likely a 600 watt electric motor; KTVM-6A is about 600-700 watts electrical; KTC-11 or MLSB-11 about 1,100 watts; KTC-15 or MLSB-15 is 1,500-1,600 watts. These are guidelines. Most oil chillers from Japan utilize a medium evaporator temperature (25-38 degrees F) Going with greater charge weights MUST be monitored for compressor ampere draw and relatively constant evaporator temperatures. NEVER ASSUME a 45 degree F evaporator rating on oil chillers from the Orient. ALWAYS play it safe. If you have your model number enter same into a search engine and look for someone from Texas and their machine tool oil chiller service / sales website.

Quite a find, Mr. Sleuth, digging up a six year old thread last visited two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    Quite a find, Mr. Sleuth, digging up a six year old thread last visited two years ago.
    And the OP has never responded. Not once.

Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    A universal search within the website was utilized to find an old topic. Being active with this site doesn't mean one has to be on a schedule.