Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Trane CVHF Over voltage issue

Good morning everyone,

I recently attended the trane factory training in wisconsin for the centravac familiarization course back in May. I did not have a chance to attend the controls course yet and was wondering if someone here might be able to point me in the right direction for checking a problem I had with a CVHF machine.

I log a CVHF410 machine that recently had a shutdown occur. The fault on the ch530 panel was an over voltage fault. This machine is equipped with a vfd. The machine shut down at 5:30 in the afternoon and the tracer system shows that the ucm diagnostic is a ch-1 new over voltage and a couple of seconds later the pumps start/st op was off and tower enabled off. The system re started itself about an hour later on its own.

I read in the literature provided by my class that the machine will fault if the voltage is around 115% higher for 60 seconds, and then reset itself after dropping back down to 110%? What stumps me is that it took an hour for the machine to reset itself. I find this impossible to believe that the voltage was high for an hour and no other equipment in the bldg. was affected like ahu's and such all of which are on vfd's of their own. Can someone shed some light on what I might be able to look into as far as knowing how the machine monitors the voltage and if the monitoring system might be giving some false readings? Thanks so much guys!!

The reset is not going to be instantaneous. Once the voltage drops down below the threshold, then you are ALLOWED to restart. That does not mean that will restart right away. You may have to go through a waiting period of some time and that may also include a timer in the BAS.

my suggestion, try to down load the data logs from the ch530 data logger.

Ditto what jay and gbr said, if tracer depending on vintage summit or older may have a 30 min delay before allowing pumps to come back on, towers etc which all have to come back up then chiller says hey I have flow and goes through its safety checks and time delays before starting. Is there more than 1 chiller and if its summit are you using chiller plant manager. I used to put a minimum 30 min delay on power fail to allow motors to cool and get tower sumps back to proper levels and even temps before starting the chillers.

Yes, there are two chillers in series. I'm not sure of the vintage of the tracer summit system but I would like to check on that and see how much of a delay is programmed. So, can anyone also shed some light on how the machine sees an over voltage? Are there sensors on the incoming line terminals?

check the starter the mod on the starter panel you will see three small tranformers that are connected to the 2a1 starter mod on the J5 terminals,that how the chiller monitors the incoming voltage.IMAG0154.jpg

gbrigms, thank you so much for all your help and to everyone else that replied as well!!

I will try to look at that transformers tomorrow. I am going to take a wild as guess and ASS-U-ME that those transformers are just clean up transformers? just to keep the voltage readings clean?

One more thing; do any of you guys have a windows 8 computer with tech view installed? I tried to hook mine up to take the data logs off of the ch530 and my computer does not recognize it. I have a new toshiba machine running windows 8 and a serial to usb cable. the computer asks me which port I want to use and I tried all 7 but no cigar.

000, this is one of those topics which could easily get into discussing things that should not be discussed in an open forum. This does not reflect my opinion of you, it's just that anyone with internet access can read an open forum, including people with much more internet skills then chiller skills. Your problem could be as simple as an improper setting on your chiller. Or it may not even be a problem with your chiller, simply the chiller's response to an adverse outside condition. I suggest you have a tech, who is experienced with this style chiller, have a look at it. And those particular transformers simply monitor the voltage. They don't "keep the voltage readings clean". And, sorry, but I can't help you help with the question about TechView and Windows 8. Because I don't know. Good luck.

Is this a unit mounted drive? If it is a liquiflo 2.0 refrigerant cooled drive, it does not have the potential transformers or the starter module shown above. I agree that it could be setting in the drive or the ch530.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    000, this is one of those topics which could easily get into discussing things that should not be discussed in an open forum. This does not reflect my opinion of you, it's just that anyone with internet access can read an open forum, including people with much more internet skills then chiller skills. Your problem could be as simple as an improper setting on your chiller. Or it may not even be a problem with your chiller, simply the chiller's response to an adverse outside condition. I suggest you have a tech, who is experienced with this style chiller, have a look at it. And those particular transformers simply monitor the voltage. They don't "keep the voltage readings clean". And, sorry, but I can't help you help with the question about TechView and Windows 8. Because I don't know. Good luck.
    do you think It maybe possible for "somebody with more internet skills than chiller skills" to read the super secret handshake only, book of chiller revelations posted on the super secret password protected place? that would be very dangerous, dont you think wikileaks or snowden know about it? I believe we have an international scandal waiting to happen. better call the FBI and cover your head with tinfoil.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrlgms View Post
    my suggestion, try to down load the data logs from the ch530 data logger.
    gbr,
    do you need kestrel view for data log with ch530? if not, what tab do you access for it?

you will need kestrel view,techview will not give you that option,000 will need to call trane to help him specially when the chiller has a vfd.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis201 View Post
    Is this a unit mounted drive? If it is a liquiflo 2.0 refrigerant cooled drive, it does not have the potential transformers or the starter module shown above. I agree that it could be setting in the drive or the ch530.
    you gat good point my friend.i agree that it could be a setting in the drive or the ch530,specially this liquiflo vfd there are a lot of service bulletin.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast