R-410a vs. R-134a

Just curious, why does resi & light commercial equipment use R-410a instead of R-134a, like we see in automotive and large chillers?

R410a has improved performance, and the need to choose ONE refrigerant to minimize the proliferation of refrigerant types. After R22 expires, there will be only one for residential.

Quote Originally Posted by tpa-fl View Post
    Just curious, why does resi & light commercial equipment use R-410a instead of R-134a, like we see in automotive and large chillers?

Carrier and Bryant had 134A units in the late 1980's. As I remember the indoor coils were huge.

Efficiency.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    Carrier and Bryant had 134A units in the late 1980's. As I remember the indoor coils were huge.
    Bob is there supposed to be a message in the license plate? "No Jobs"
    Just wondering.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by mrbillpro View Post
    Bob is there supposed to be a message in the license plate? "No Jobs"
    Just wondering.
    The message is that Michigan is a mess. They have outsourced so many jobs that Michigan is in dire financial straights as are many of it's residents.

We have lost over 125,000 jobs in the last several years, the auto companies are almost bankrupt also.

I placed an add for office help in the newspaper and had over 150 applicants in a week, people begging for jobs.

Back in the early 1980's when we went through this before the favorite bumper sticker was:

"Last one out of Michigan turn out the lights"

As was,

"Datsunuff" referring to Datsun which is now Nissan and the influx of foreign cars.

Oh yea, against my wishes and better judgement my wife wanted a Nissan Murano and got it!

After driving American vehicles for the 19 years we have been married she said............

"Datsunuff!"

Sorry for the HiJack......................

Now back to our regular scheduled program.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Efficiency.

Benny, correct me if I am wrong, they were 10 or 12 SEER units, the coils were larger than today's coils if I remember correctly.

It had to do with the efficiency of 134A correct?

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    The message is that Michigan is a mess. They have outsourced so many jobs that Michigan is in dire financial straights as are many of it's residents.

Man Bob I guess I live in a box I am sorry to hear that, but if you ever get fed up pack your tractors up and move to Houston we need more "GOOD" A/C company's here, I know you would be a great neighbor.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by mrbillpro View Post
    Man Bob I guess I live in a box I am sorry to hear that, but if you ever get fed up pack your tractors up and move to Houston we need more "GOOD" A/C company's here, I know you would be a great neighbor.
    I am not too bad off............it has been a challenge but I will survive.

Houston, hmmmmmmmmmmmm..................

Does it get cold there?