Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by absrbrtek View Post
    Well they are union. Not a contractor I would ever work for IMHO.

Why do you bother with this thread, your wasting your breath. I've preached this stuff for years but to no avail. Let em eat dog food when they retire.
    You are absolutely right.

Just something to do while I'm on call waiting for a call to come in.
    It Is What It Is

Since i worked non union for many years, Before I choose to work for a union company. Working non union we had to supply every tool on our truck. we were put in unsafe working conditions all of the time. Factory trainning was non existence. non union people were not trained proper rigging procedures. People can say what they want to about union workers, But imho my take home pay is higher than non union people.

When you consider the benifit package, all of the tools your employer provides. Working with a lot of apprentices took some time to adjust.In my area where I live the union companys have most of the heavy commercial/industrial work. people can complain about the apprentice program, If you compare this against the ACCA program. You can not compare the two programs.

all the union shops here is suppose to supply all the tools also. thats a joke. if your lucky you will get a few screw drivers and a 100.00 dollar socket set at sears. the union hall knows it and does nothing. so the techs if they want to do there job supplies their own tools. I know this is not the case every where. the union guys in the hall knows when they are done and they want a job they will keep the contractors happy. they are afraid to rock the boat.

I like working with the apprentice I currently have. A real go getter that's always thinking a few steps ahead. We are currently doing a regasket on a 1500 ton CVHB, I show him what needs to be done then go hit service calls. He's done an outstanding job for me, I will teach him everything I know for doing such a good job and showing the initiative to learn. I email him liturature on a continual basis so he can learn and advance quicker. It's rare to find a thinker and a worker wrapped up in one.

As for the pay if I throw in my annuity that's $5 an hour which is my money, I'd venture to say I'm at least $15 to $20 an hour ahead of the non union contractors in our area. Granted theres a few out there in our area that may come close in pay but they are few and far between. When you throw the pension, medical, life insurance, disability ins, dental, prescription, eye, tools, on call pay, etc on top of that, I'm light years ahead. JMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by sabre11134 View Post
    But imho my take home pay is higher than non union people.

When you consider the benifit package, all of the tools your employer provides. Working with a lot of apprentices took some time to adjust.In my area where I live the union companys have most of the heavy commercial/industrial work. people can complain about the apprentice program, If you compare this against the ACCA program. You can not compare the two programs.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

That sucks. My current employer is really good with tools. I'd say in the last three months I've spent at least $3500 in tools. Slings, schackles, chain falls, tap and die set, grinders, sockets, etc, you name it, if I need it I buy it. Now I have more of my own tools than most and I use them also, but if I need more tools they let me buy them.
    Quote Originally Posted by freonrick View Post
    all the union shops here is suppose to supply all the tools also. thats a joke. if your lucky you will get a few screw drivers and a 100.00 dollar socket set at sears. the union hall knows it and does nothing. so the techs if they want to do there job supplies their own tools. I know this is not the case every where. the union guys in the hall knows when they are done and they want a job they will keep the contractors happy. they are afraid to rock the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by freonrick View Post
    Same thing in my area.

We have a required tool list that covers the hand tools required for sheet metal work. Things like power tools (corded and cordless) are specifically excluded in the contract. So is owning a truck for the transport of employer tools and materials. Both exclusions are frequently violated by employers and the union hall will not back up the dues paying union member.

I have called to complain and I have been asked by the BA if I "wanted to keep working". Residential shops are the worst.

Service technicians do not have a tool list at all. If they need it (other than something like a reclaimer), they buy it. If it gets stolen from the company truck, then the tech buys another.

Yes, there are some companies out there that provide the things they are supposed to.

Union pay is good and the benefits are good, but those things apply only if you are working. Employers talk, and they eventually know who plays the tools and truck for my (employer) benefit game.

Union rules/contracts are great as long as they are enforced. Otherwise, it is not all that great.
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

union

do not be stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    do you even need an answer?
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Another interesting topic.

Seems that some fail to realize that there are great contractors to work for whether union or non-union. There are also great employees working for these contractors (union or non-union). Of course the same holds true with regard to the low life contractors and employees.

The worst screwing I got was when working for my last employer who was a union contractor (they broke about every rule in the book and state labor laws as well) - it gave me a real bad taste in my mouth. My current employer is also union, but they are GREAT! The union didn't change when I switched jobs so why would I start running down the UA?

The "problem" I personally have with the union is that they were well aware of what my previous employer was doing (there were several of us that voiced our concerns) and chose to do nothing about it. Matter of fact, my old boss actually called the union hall on a Wednesday telling the Business Manager that he would be letting two of us go on Friday - Neither of us got a call from the local giving us the heads up.

The above problem doesn't mean the union sucks - it means that certain individuals "dropped the ball".

I was a union contractor (for a while) - the local tried everything in their power to supply me with the guys I needed but as others pointed out, there weren't any available and I had to recruit on my own. As an owner, the UA was ok to work with overall (now the sheet metal union - that's a whole different story).

I feel my situation may be somewhat unique as I have been both a union and non-union contractor as well as a union and non-union employee. There are positives and negatives any way you look at it - that's just the way it is. Doesn't make the union inherently "bad" nor does it make non-union "underpaid/under skilled"..............just ends up being something else to argue about is all.

union

markettech,
    you have a good point.
    The end result is: if you are young and can get in with a good union contractor and work for 30 years, you can not beat that!
    this is not the case for every guy of all ages location and skill level.

Frank
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

generally speaking as an employee it is better working union - some exceptions to the rule
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Non Union is better because i don't like paying them.

Our new troll speaks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
    Them who?

The employees..........The union..........

A difference of opinion is great and in my OPINION is one of the things that makes this site so interesting - But to make a statement like the one above with no supporting ideas is idiotic and just begs the start of a flame war.

Try regrouping and making your second impression a more favorable one..

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast