Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789101112

union!!

First off I'm going to say, it's what you make it out to be. I'm getting ready to go to work for a Residential/Light Commercial union shop. This shop's signatory to the NSMA, which disregards the A, B & C card classifications of our union local and instead it bases off of the Journeyman (A Card). An C Card Service Tech which is our local classification for R/LC makes about $23/Hr. on the check. A Tradesman 3 under the NSMA which is also for R/LC makes about $31/Hr. I prefer union, but not only union, union using the NSMA!
    If you're under the employ of a non-union shop and they're taking good care of you, then you better be a lifer. Once you and that shop seperate say good bye to your health & welfare. Even if you have $100,000 in your retirement plan, you probably put $80,000 of it in yourself! What's the point of matching your contributions up to $1/Hr., if you're the one putting in $4/Hr. of your wage?! Even my future shop is going to be putting in $4.50/Hr. for me. At 40 hrs for 50 wks, that's $9,000 none of which will come out of my wage!! When deciding whether union or non-union, it comes down to economics, but a lot of you seem to have less mathematical skills than my youngest child.

So is the union still the best way to go or is the economy not right for it?

Don't know if it ever really was. Right now in this economy, a job union or not is the best way to go.

Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    I've just gone over to the union side (UA local 250) and so far so good. My previous company was none union and really wasn't bad at all. However I wanted the training and classroom learning to fill in the gaps in my knowledge. Went from $29/hr no bennies, no 401k, no holidays off to 1st year apprentice wages but I have so much more overall I'm very happy.
    You cannot cheat an honest man. But that doesn't stop people trying!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789101112