Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

union vs. non-union

i am considering moving to phoenix. i am currently a union apprentice in ohio. i am not sure of staying in the union when i move there. when i look at non-union job offers in the phoenix area, they are very competitve with the union. in which will i stay more busy?

Put yourself at the other end of your career in 30-40 years. Do you want a good retirement? Stay with the SMWIA (I did). Be proud and work hard.

Stay union..or go fight for your raises

I can't believe your even asking.
    Buy American! The job you save may be your own.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac_superman View Post
    I can't believe your even asking.
    i agree..im disappointed..hasent he read one of the several union vs nonunion threads on this site??

Quote Originally Posted by d_griff View Post
    i agree..im disappointed..hasent he read one of the several union vs nonunion threads on this site??
    Aparently not, he has no Idea what he is about to do.
    Buy American! The job you save may be your own.

stay union, you can't beat the benefits

stay union,will you have a pension working non union ?

you guys are good

thank you gentlemen. i was just seein' if you were all alive out there.

check and see if union participates in the national retirement in Phoenix. I know I checked in the Tucson area once and they did not from what I read. But in case I read wrong contact the union.

I used to work non-union for 3 years, treated like dog sht, 8am start and 2am finish everyday off either 1 sat or 1 sun every other week in the winter months, 8-8 in summer months and spring and fall 15-20hrs a week, they didnt care . went union 2 years ago and now work 40-50 hours a week have weekends off if i want, if im falling short on hours im told to go do maintance on some of our big accounts. Safety is always #1. wouldnt trade the union for nothin, best move i ever made and will not leave it for nothing.
    Proud L.U. 597 member
    chicago local

What Local ya with?I'm UA local 94 out of Canton.Maybe check with your hall about transferring to a local out there to complete your apprenticeship.I have 1 month to go in mine
    Go RCR!

I have been working non-union for the majority of my career and been "jerked around", lied to, promised the world and given the dung heap. Three weeks ago, my current employer took away insurance as we know it and went with a "high deductible" medical savings plan where all medicasl expenses come out of the employee's pocket until $6000 is reached, and then it's limited coverage. This is on top of all the other cuts and charges placed upon the techs.

I was just recently offered a job with a union company. I have been staunchly non-union for most of my life. But experience has shown me that the majority of non-union companies (at least in this area) tend to take advantage of the HVAC tech- lower wages, minimal benefits, and long hours with minimum compensation. And retirement? Ha! Ha! Ha! Good luck!

Unions have gotten a bad rap. Without the unions, things would probably be even worse for non-union techs. If the unions would gain strength and begin expanding again, things might actually improve somewhat for non-union workers. I think we in the non-union ranks have come to believe the non-union propoganda that has been spread over the years. It's regretable that we have allowed ourselves to be abused for so long.

I have been to the hall and talked with the union aficionados. They were straight up with me and told me both the good things and the things that need improvement in the union. I can respect that. My decision is indeed to go union. I am going to accept the position. Furthermore, I will indeed help spread the truth about benefits of union membership.
    See, the human mind is kind of like... a piñata. When it breaks open, there's a lot of surprises inside. Once you get the piñata perspective, you see that losing your mind can be a peak experience. ~Jane Wagner

Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast