Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Centrifugal chiller leak testing

Does anyone know where I can buy a portable chiller barrel heater for leak testing low pressure machines? The only one I have been able to find online is the "Pre-Vac". Found it through Redi Controls And Mechanical Ingenuity but its pretty high priced and my boss wants me to see what else is out there. Thanks in advance for the help

The Prevac works well. Your boss either needs to pony up the coin or get out of the chiller arena. JMHO
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

It's been several years since I worked on centrifugals so I'm not familiar with the "prevac". We always either hooked up to a hot water source ( usually a boiler in the same equipment room) or used nitrogen to pressurize. How does the Prevac work?

The boiler method works well however some of the buildings I have, the hot water suplly is not close to the chillers. Also some building engineers do not
    like to do it that way. Typically the same chemicals in both loops can never get a good amswer from the eng. The nitrogen method is a little outdated now. The Prevac is a self contained unit with heaters, circ pump, controls etc. Hook it up the the cooler barrel just as you would the boiler loop and typically power it up off of one of the pump starters. Turn it on and away you go.

Make your own heater.

I thought about it but by the time I bought all the materials (which I have already priced) and built it, It would have been about $ 1500.00. I found another heater called Vacu-breaker, bought it for $1700.00.

A 30 gal 220 volt hot water heater a pressure switch and a 120 volt in line pump was $1500?

I don't mean to sound like an a$$ but a 30 gal. water heater is just so easy to carry around isn't it? And also what if you don't have 230v available? These machines are also portable and dual voltage. I just can't see myself rolling A water heater in to the mech. room.
    Last edited by sfreshvac; 05-06-2007 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sfreshvac View Post
    I don't mean to sound like an a$$ but a 30 gal. water heater is just so easy to carry around isn't it? And also what if you don't have 230v available? These machines are also portable and dual voltage. I just can't see myself rolling A water heater in to the mech. room.
    ROTFLMAO!

that sounds professional!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Thanks for the input darctangent.

Quote Originally Posted by sfreshvac View Post
    Thanks for the input darctangent.
    Sorry, I wouldn't have much else to contribute. I have my low pressure Cert, but like most guys that have one, it's been just for show. I just about busted a nut when I read your post though. Very funny. Not exactly practical unless you are Stationary engineer, in house or such. One judge of a tech is his tools. I certainly wouldn't want to show up on a job as a hired gun with a water heater in tow if I was planning on impressing anybody, even though I've hacked together a tool or two before.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Just a suggestion. The last two Companies I worked for I made these up and they worked good. No owner wants to spend $1700.

darctangent, I got this Idea from my uncle who used one at Carrier for many years. There is nothing hacked about it. If you had a little more experience with low pressure machines you probably would have seen one at one time or another.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast