Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

JC feedback please

I am a tech with 10 yrs experience all in non union shops. I am contemplating a position with Johnson Controls in the Southern California region and would appreciate feedback from anyone with regards to working for Johnson Controls. I understand I will probably get a mix of 50/50. just trying to make the best possible decision for myself and my family.

JC was the second best job I ever had, until I had a PI and was put on WC. I'll just say that there's issues now. Look up Darghous vs JC.

JCI has big problems IMHO. They took a great company (York International) and turned into a piece of crap. They treat their mechanics like they are a dime a dozen. You will get differing opinions for sure, but I'm one who worked for the purchased company for 24 years. I worked for JCI for less than three.

They are too focused on the short term. This quarter results are KING. No future vision Too much "procedural" stuff. Threats, etc. Certainly not my cup of tea.

Thanks guys. I was a little hesitant because I saw some similar reviews when I was researching the company.

They are Union for all Mechanical Service, so as far as pay, you should be paid well. If you have "heavy metal" experience, you should negotiate above scale. If you pass the UA Star test, that's extra money too.
    Don't know how the Building Automation Techs do, when I was there even the Level 4 Controls guys made less than us Journeymen.

I just looked up Darghous vs JC.

I don't work for JC but it's stuff like that is why I keep copies of my emails, at home, on an external HDD.

Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    I assume you will be working for the Whittier Branch?
    Send me a private message.
    I worked non union 2.5 years before going into JCI.
    1st year apprentice.

I worked with York for several years and left before the buyout. Now, me and my son are working for Johnson and its been pretty good so far. Of course, it's really what you make of it and who you're working with that makes the difference.
    Superheat, that must be REALLY hot.

I worked for big blue years ago, not a bad outfit, there are a lot worst , if you dont mind corporate BS, weekly meetings, monthly computer based non-trade related "training" and that sort of things. I would work for them again if I have to.

Sand trap,

JCI has good and bad branches. I work with people who complain a lot and I work with people who love the company.
    For me it's been very positive so far, no stress about getting 40+ hours, getting thrown at all sorts of cool projects and equipment, journeymen who know their stuff and happy to pass along the knowledge.
    My boss is a very fair, very decent guy. Easily the best boss I've had in my USA working career, I don't want to let him down and that's where some of my motivation comes from, the rest... I love what I do. Every day is different, some good, some bad.
    There's a lot of corporate faffing around in the management side, but I've worked for far worse companies.
    Negotiate smart when going in and you can get significantly above scale.

Are you being organized in by local 250?

Sorry Lightning Boy. I've been trying to private message you but maybe I'm doing it wrong. Yes, it is the Whittier branch that I applied to for tradesman position, but haven't gotten a response. No I haven't been spoken to about the union.

Hey Sandtrap,
    I've Pm'd you, 10yrs experience?
    Are you all residential or refrigeration ?
    If I had 10 yrs I would be applying as an MES. Tradesmen are sort of like a "pre apprentice". Scale is much lower than 1st year apprentice. So consider carefully what you apply for.

I believe JC can hold you as Tradesman for 5 years. Basically a 1st year Apprentice, but stuck there. I know a guy that was a Serviceman for 5 years, then he was granted Journeyman at his 5 year hire anniversary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast