Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

115 volt compressors

On a 115v compressor is the common terminal neutral? this is a really basic question i understand that.
    okay let me have it

No. Common should be your 115v hot
    Last edited by Capz; 08-05-2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Spellcheck

Typically no. The external overload is usually line which is typically hooked to common.

Neutral usually goes to relay/ run capacitor.

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Typically no. The external overload is usually line which is typically hooked to common.

Neutral usually goes to relay/ run capacitor.
    I worked on a del field freezer today and replaced start components that another tech had diagnosed as being bad. replaced them all and energized the unit and compressor would not start. i tested for continuity through the windings and had none through start and common or start and run. but had continuity through run and common. but also did not have 115v on common but had 115v on start terminal. did i miss something?
    Last edited by northeastbeast; 08-05-2013 at 07:08 PM.

If you didn't have continuity, you have open windings. A compressor will run with the hot and neutral reversed.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    If you didn't have continuity, you have open windings.
    okay no matter what that was the case then. thanks 2sac. my boss is always calling me up after the fact and saying "did you do this and that ?" "test this and that?" and i always think i missed something.

A compressor will run with the hot and neutral reversed.
    ahhh, really good to know man! thanks! because thats what i kinda thought i had done

You should be able to diagnose a small tin can in a matter of minutes with your meter. It normally takes more time to access the terminals than it does to check it out. A compressor analyzer will allow you to check for locked rotor without start components. I know your green. Don't over analyze the situation. Remember the basics. If you haven't been taught the basics, it's time to learn them.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

You should be able to diagnose a small tin can in a matter of minutes with your meter. It normally takes more time to access the terminals than it does to check it out. A compressor analyzer will allow you to check for locked rotor without start components. I know your green. Don't over analyze the situation. Remember the basics. If you haven't been taught the basics, it's time to learn them.
    I was positive i was right about the open start winding, then later ,after i had gotten home my boss called me and made me think i missed all kinds of stuff, but yea a compressor analyzer sounds like a good investment. thanks again, your really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by northeastbeast View Post
    I was positive i was right about the open start winding, then later ,after i had gotten home my boss called me and made me think i missed all kinds of stuff, but yea a compressor analyzer sounds like a good investment. thanks again, your really helpful.
    Don't waste your money on a "compressor analyser".
    In my opinion, they're used by guys that do not know their basic circuits.

A compressor analyzer is useful at times when you just want to see if you can start a compressor without the start components or when you have suspect start components. A lot of guys just carry a 3-in-1 with a plug attached to do basically the same thing.

I have a really old HA-1. I very rarely use it, but when I do I appreciate that I have it.

Quote Originally Posted by northeastbeast View Post
    Sounds like the diagnosing tech missed it and you caught it. And then talked yourself out of it

Don't forget to check each tap to ground while you have them there in your hands...

Just a dumb question, but did you check the common terminal or through the overload? If the overload is open, both the run and start will appear open.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast