Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 57
  1. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    281
    I did a side by side comparison, testo557 with two other micron gauges and the testo was reading 10000 microns high?!

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    2,149
    Quote Originally Posted by joebear View Post
    I did a side by side comparison, testo557 with two other micron gauges and the testo was reading 10000 microns high?!
    at least yours reads something!

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    281
    im going to digicool ak900 and bluvac!!!!!!!!!!

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3,058
    Sounds like a wining combo
    Quote Originally Posted by joebear View Post
    im going to digicool ak900 and bluvac!!!!!!!!!!

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    541
    Are any digital refrigerant manifold w/ vacuum reading - trustworthy?

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,327
    Quote Originally Posted by MechTech2013 View Post
    Are any digital refrigerant manifold w/ vacuum reading - trustworthy?
    My Yellow Jacket digital manifold has a separate vacuum sensor with cord that plugs into the manifold. It works good.

  7. #46
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Savannah, Ga/H.H. Island, S.C.
    Posts
    1,403

    Testo-557 micron measurement are way off

    Quote Originally Posted by MechTech2013 View Post
    Are any digital refrigerant manifold w/ vacuum reading - trustworthy?
    No. Unless it has a separate sensor like the YJ's.

    The two biggest enemies to a micron gauge are positive pressure and oil. If you're using your manifold for anything other than an art piece - the internal micron sensor will be exposed to large amounts of oil and several hundred pounds of positive pressure per day.

    I just can't see how any digital gauge with a built in micron gauge can stay clean (free of oil) and remain accurate.

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    72
    I just got the Testo 557 and thought I would look to see the experiences of others.

    Brent I can see your reasoning in thinking that the pressure and oil can have bad effects on the sensors. If this is the case,then I'm thinking that my new unused set should be more accurate. If not,then there must be other issues. Testo recommends blowing the gauge ports out with compressed air occasionally.

    The only thing I have to compare is a yellow jacket digital I've had now for quite some time. I don't have the most faith in it either.

    I have never pulled a vac seperate from my gauges. I can see the benefit though.

    I think the thing that has me the most concerned is in reading the Testo manual it says that if the gauges are ever dropped or even as much as bumped hard, then you need to send them back for recalibration....really?.....maybe I'm a little rammy sometimes but even with a girl touch sometimes things get bumped in our trade. I can't see me not bumping this thing or NOT at one point seeing it come off the place I hooked it and drop. I'm not talking a 10ft. fall here, but my analog set sometimes come off and fall say 18" onto the dirt.

    I'm almost afraid to touch this baby

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    wedged in freezer shelf
    Posts
    6,557
    No compressed air!!!!
    Nitrogen!!!!

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    wedged in freezer shelf
    Posts
    6,557
    If your old one is acting goofy try a new battery. I don't think the low battery indicator worked so well on those old ones and they drift around with low power.

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Cherokee Co. Texas
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Starise View Post



    I think the thing that has me the most concerned is in reading the Testo manual it says that if the gauges are ever dropped or even as much as bumped hard, then you need to send them back for recalibration....really?.....maybe I'm a little rammy sometimes but even with a girl touch sometimes things get bumped in our trade. I can't see me not bumping this thing or NOT at one point seeing it come off the place I hooked it and drop. I'm not talking a 10ft. fall here, but my analog set sometimes come off and fall say 18" onto the dirt.

    I'm almost afraid to touch this baby
    Actually, in my Testo 570 manual it tells you that annual recalibrating is recommended. As far as dropping it, here's what it says in my manual:

    If the measuring instrument falls or another comparable
    mechanical load occurs, the pipe sections of the refrigerant
    hoses may break. The valve positioners may also be damaged,
    whereby further damage to the interior of the measuring
    instrument may occur that cannot be identified from the outside.
    The refrigerant hoses must therefore be replaced with new,
    undamaged refrigerant hoses every time the measuring
    instrument falls or following any other comparable mechanical
    load. Send the measuring instrument to Testo Customer
    Service for a technical check for your own safety.

    Since the manifold is the heaviest part of the unit, it would make sense that it would hit the ground first. I still dont use my 570 for vacuum at all. I use the Appion CRT's, the large Appion hoses and my pump for vacuum.

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Cherokee Co. Texas
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    No compressed air!!!!
    Nitrogen!!!!
    X2

  13. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3,058
    I still wish I had never heard of Testo.
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerman2029 View Post
    Actually, in my Testo 570 manual it tells you that annual recalibrating is recommended. As far as dropping it, here's what it says in my manual:

    If the measuring instrument falls or another comparable
    mechanical load occurs, the pipe sections of the refrigerant
    hoses may break. The valve positioners may also be damaged,
    whereby further damage to the interior of the measuring
    instrument may occur that cannot be identified from the outside.
    The refrigerant hoses must therefore be replaced with new,
    undamaged refrigerant hoses every time the measuring
    instrument falls or following any other comparable mechanical
    load. Send the measuring instrument to Testo Customer
    Service for a technical check for your own safety.

    Since the manifold is the heaviest part of the unit, it would make sense that it would hit the ground first. I still dont use my 570 for vacuum at all. I use the Appion CRT's, the large Appion hoses and my pump for vacuum.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event