Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I usually just go by the size that was in a unit, BUT Refrigeration hardware co has helped me out with sizes and also supplied some odd size tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    Are you serious! The oem won't tell you the size of the cap tube?

Any one thought about changing it to an expansion valve system ?

I don't think an expansion valve would be worth the money or time..we've lost money on this POS cuz its been sitting in our shop for weeks....I tried what someone mentioned on here. I charged it up and was checking the RLA amps while doing so. Its got an Aspera compressor that states a 7.9RLA So I did so and the unit started off at around 300 head and about 17 suction with the evap fan off and inside temp at 79 degrees. I was leaving work at that time so I'm heading back now to check....
    I'll also try to find a good method to check my superheat cuz i don't have any thermometers on me right now,
    Like I said, I'm pretty new to this field but I'm smart and willing to learn. Thanks for all the input guys

well guys went back at it today...I cut and soldered shut the hot gas line to see if that made any difference and it did. Unit now gets to about -4 but Its still not working 100% At -3 box I have a 15psi suction and 300 head. I checked my superheat and I came up with -14-8 which is -22. So my superheat is 22 which tells me that the evap isn't getting enough refrigerant possibly but I don't wanna add any more with a 300 plus head and the compressor is pretty close to its rated 7.9 load amps.
    I'm thinking we might have to bite the bullet and buy the original oem cap tube for $159 which is ridiculous...any other input guys?

I said in a previous post that your suction was far too low. You are underfeeding.

You can put a TXV in for far less than $159 (for the part). If you really wanted to play around with it you could shorten the cap tube some, but I wouldn't waste my time.

I also can't imagine the manufacturer not giving you their cap tube specifications, or charging a legitimate refrigeration business such a high price. Perhaps you could just get an off the shelf JB cap tube or something and size it based on the chart on back of the box and see what you get?

He solders the hot gas line shut and ends up with a higher suction temp. and the box is colder. WTF!!!!
    Are we really supposed to believe it was actually leaking?

Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    He solders the hot gas line shut and ends up with a higher suction temp. and the box is colder. WTF!!!!
    Are we really supposed to believe it was actually leaking?
    umm....sure? lol

Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    I said in a previous post that your suction was far too low. You are underfeeding.

You can put a TXV in for far less than $159 (for the part). If you really wanted to play around with it you could shorten the cap tube some, but I wouldn't waste my time.

I also can't imagine the manufacturer not giving you their cap tube specifications, or charging a legitimate refrigeration business such a high price. Perhaps you could just get an off the shelf JB cap tube or something and size it based on the chart on back of the box and see what you get?
    That's what I did...I used .036 cap tube and did about 10 feet. It sucks for me cuz all older and more experienced techs sorta thru this freezer on the side burner and I'm the only one who is attempting to fix it. This is probably the 3rd cap tube Ive ever changed cuz like i said I'm sorta new. I can't ask them for help cuz they all say "I don't know what to do with it" or "Its broke" lol

The HGV wasn't leaking, obviously.

Are you sure you didn't restrict the cap tube when you routed through the cabinet or when you cut it? Sure you didn't get any brazing material in it, or push it against the drier screen?

Yeah after doing this I think so too...boss wants to put a new one in anyway...sigh..this sucks. I literally wanna push this damn thing off a cliff lol

Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    Are you sure you didn't restrict the cap tube when you routed through the cabinet or when you cut it? Sure you didn't get any brazing material in it, or push it against the drier screen?
    no...I pinched it shut when i ran it thru the cabinet

Why not try cutting about 3 feet of the cap tube before you change it.
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmScott View Post
    no...I pinched it shut when i ran it thru the cabinet

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast