true undercounter

I haven't had an opportunity to delve into any new true undercounters in awhile, do they still have those single panels covering evap section that make you have to completely remove 'all' product, then 'all' shelving, then 'all' shelving brackets and even 'all' thumb screws, to be able to finally manipulate said cover out of the box, to be able to access evap section. I was hoping they had replaced moe, larry, and curly in their engineering dept. by now, and maybe things were a little easier...

As far as I know, yes.

It's really not that bad in the case of cap tubes or t-stats if you know the tricks. YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE ALL THE PRODUCT OR BACK PANEL.

The trick is to remove the top. There's two screws, one above each door. Then remove the top. remove the top right shelf then remove the single thumb screw near the t-stat and flex the back forward for access to the t-stat or cap tube.

For prep tables its even easier, no need to remove the top, just take the product out of the cold rail.

I work on a lot of these things and have it down to a science. I can change a stat in 10 minutes an a cap tube in an hour using the tricks above. I feel that's pretty good considering True's "book time" for these tasks is 2 and 4 hours respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    I feel that's pretty good considering True's "book time" for these tasks is 2 and 4 hours respectively.
    Hey craig where did you get your "book time " book ?

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post

Hey craig where did you get your "book time " book ?
    http://www.truemfg.com/pdf/WarrantyClaim.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    Thank You for that link.
    VTP

[QUOTE=craig1;16366481]As far as I know, yes.

" I work on a lot of these things and have it down to a science."

Name:  20130818_115238[1].jpg
Views: 165
Size:  25.3 KB

Just the guy Id need.If you can help that would be great. I just got a new account im trying to land. Huge Sports Bar/nightclub/Banquet hall(s) /restaurant. Mostly HVAC rooftop units, Walkin refrigeration.I have made big points getting these running properly where past contractors have failed (miserably) But they also have numerous reach in coolers most TRUE stainless. I have alot of trouble with these. Getting to them is a nightmare but like you said that will come. There is never no access fittings and they always seem to have an erratic or difficult problem. What is most common? What are you doing during your diagnosis ( I bet it is quick) I dont want to add access fittings unless I have to. The compressor and fans are running, both coils clean no ice, coming back cold , creating heat at the condenser. running during entire visit. As you know you cant spend alot of time on these as they cost only 2-3K vs 10-20K for a rooftop or large walkin. ANY pointers advice would be greatly appreciated .

The most common problem with true coolers is bad T-stats and clogged cap tubes.

A bad t-stat will give one of 3 symptoms
    1: stuck off- no cooling
    2:stuck on- hard freeze, all product frozen, evaporator solid ice
    3: Intermittant- sometimes doesn't work, other times works fine.

If you have issues with a light freeze, such as that vegetables freeze or some canned products freeze overnight, but not during the day, this is a classic sign of a clogged cap tube, not a thermostat issue.

If there is any signs that the condenser has been excessively dirty the cap tube has a good chance of being restricted. The best way to diagnose this is by feeling the condenser. At least 2/3 of it should be warm to hot. If less than 1/2 of it its warm, the cap tube is probably restricted. At this point my next step is to add a piercing valve to the process tube on the compressor. if the pressure operating suction pressure is less than about 15 PSI, the cap tube is clogged or the charge is low. I do not find low charge on these often, unless they are used to store corrosive veggies.

The problem always seems to be it just stops working. When I go to check it out everything appears normal. A few of them had tap valves already installed I'd watch it for a couple hours everything would be normal it would reach 35. then next visit they would tell me it just died again. They have a graveyard with a couple of these in there. If I started them up they would run for a few hours I'm sure. I'm going to pack one up in the van take it home put it in the garage where I can watch it. the ones with access valves really make me nervous because you don't know what's in there. Air, wrong refrigerant, Gumbo sealant. Ect. but like I said it runs normally for hours while I'm there. I know all the prior service companies have put in thermostats so I am reluctant to try that again. I'm with you with 16 ounces of refrigerant in there the chance of A leak is pretty slim.

Most of the true problem I have are low charge, bad stat.

you say other companys all did stats. make sure they are either true or ranco constant cut in a121506,or a12701 and make sure sensing bulb is in coil. i like the a121506 and shove bulb in to mid coil.

thanks I also found an old thread with a link to the TRUE service manual. lots of help there like step by step removal of top of cabinent , t-stat and relay.

I hate those damn things. And yes. They do