+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's That Gas?

Post Likes

What's That Gas?

Hello - I'm new here. I'm an HVAC cross-over. Long awaited, now I think I'm ready and the opportunities exist. I'm decent with HVAC, I don't like to be hurried, I like to be careful and certain before throwing that switch. I like controls and logic problems. I like dirty hands.

I've been reading many posts here. Needless to say the naming of so many different refrigerants is daunting and leads me to wonder:

When you walk up to a reach in refrigerator at a restaurant for the first time and find that it's old, it's grimy, it smells bad, and it's warm - how do you now the gas is really the name plate stated R12? I mean surely some one has worked on this thing. Do you pull out the mystery gas and start anew?

That lead me to the follow-up: so how many recovery tanks are on your truck??? One for each refrigerant? Really?

Post Likes
    you can hook up gages and check against a press temp chart or get the fancy digitals and they will tell you. Time for new toys mabey.

Post Likes
    Digital guages don't really tell you what it is. They do have all the pt charts in them so its a little easier.

Also National refrigerants has "one shot " recovery tanks for about $40 if you need to recover a unpopular blend.

Post Likes
    The before mentioned methods will tell you what it is, most of the time. So once you know be a dear and grab a paint marker. :-)

Post Likes
    Thanks all. I'm familiar with TP charts but in AC it would be hard to miss the difference between R22 and R410a. But this world seems to have many refrigerants and refrigerant blends which depending on the operating temp have crossover values that I imagine would make it difficult. So I guess you're all saying that if it's way off the R12 TP chart then someone has either mixed or replaced and not left a tag.

Also appreciate the mention from "SBKold" about the recovery tanks. I have a reusable one for both R22 and R410a but they were both really expensive.

Post Likes
    one thing to be wary of when you are looking at units to determine the refrigerant: make sure it has the proper charge weight in it. otherwise it will throw off your reading.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by demidos89 View Post
    one thing to be wary of when you are looking at units to determine the refrigerant: make sure it has the proper charge weight in it. otherwise it will throw off your reading.

Not really.

As long as there is a quantity of liquid in the unit, the saturation temperature will be correct.

Post Likes
    i mean when its nearly out of gas. but at that point i guess it would be best to pull the charge and update if possible.

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinbrook View Post
    When you walk up to a reach in refrigerator at a restaurant for the first time and find that it's old, it's grimy, it smells bad, and it's warm - how do you now the gas is really the name plate stated R12? I mean surely some one has worked on this thing. Do you pull out the mystery gas and start anew?
    After you know what the plate says, verify...verify. Check the condenser sticker for oil type. If a TXV, check it's marking for what it's set up for. Look for any markings (with a "sharpie" or any added stickers) on or around the condensing unit that might cue you in on whether/what refrigerant someone used in it. Lastly...system pressures. Do they match what you'd expect for that nameplate refrigerant? Of course, if it's low due to a leak, this pressure verification won't really do any good. Doing a "static" pressure reading of system is most accurate, there's gotta still be some liquefied stuff still in the sytem for that to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinbrook View Post
    That lead me to the follow-up: so how many recovery tanks are on your truck??? One for each refrigerant? Really?
    The most common three refrigerants I saw were R134A, R22 & R404A - so tank for each of those. Then I kept an empty, undedicated (yet) tank on the truck for "whatever" I might run in to.

So....4.

Post Likes
    If the label remains R-12, odds are it is a 12 drop in. 401 (MP-39) or 409.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by demidos89 View Post
    i mean when its nearly out of gas. but at that point i guess it would be best to pull the charge and update if possible.
    Oh yeah. For sure.

Post Likes
    also some people replace it with R 414b however it probably wont last long due to the fact it contains R22

Post Likes
    Why wont it last long? (414b)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheeman View Post
    Why wont it last long? (414b)
    Have you priced Hot Shot lately ? That's why it won't be around long.

Post Likes
    Phase out

Post Likes
    Gotcha, no don't use hot shot.

Post Likes
    You introduced this thread by implying that the old R-12 system was short on gas. Chances are you are going to have to pull the remaining charge to fix it (for smaller systems, anyway, there is no place to pump it down). At that point - you have an empty R-12 system. It doesn't really matter what the interim gas was - use your favorite R-12 alternative to get it running again.

Some other points: If you don't know what it is, that makes disposal a real problem. You can get an EZ One Shot cylinder (thanks for the plug, by the way) but you have to label it with whatever you put into it. So from a "fix the system:" point of view it doesn't matter, but from a "how do I get rid of it" point of view you still need to know. Also, when checking the ID of a blend against the PT chart - if you have fractionated the blend when it leaked (meaning you lost mostly vapor when the system was off) then the PT chart doesn't work anymore. Another monkey wrench in the process.

The only real way to know is to get a sample analyzed - and there is NO economic incentive to do that. Bottom line - hope that the courteous and professional tech who was there before you labeled the system properly (and think about that before you leave the job yourself...).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlavl View Post
    You introduced this thread by implying that the old R-12 system was short on gas.....
    That was well stated and helpful, thanks!

Your response makes me wonder regarding "how do I get rid of it" point of view. If I'm filling a tank and don't know what it is at the time, but later take a saturated temp reading after tank ambient stabilization, and match it to........something on a PT chart. Am I at financial risk when I bring the tank back to my distributor? I mean if they determine that it's a mix or some other refrigerant blend. I was told they burn it if it doesn't match, end of story. But I've also heard they can now "fractionate it" to separate all the different individual refrigerants via fractional distillation as no2 heating oil is separated from crude. Is this true?
    I'll be done in just a few minutes...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in