Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much do scrap condenser coils weigh ?

Do any of you scrap change-out condenser coils yourself? Cut them out inside the tube sheets and then turn them in for that 'coil price' at the scrap yard?

If so; how much does a run-of-the-mill condenser coil weigh? Say a 3 ton 10 SEER ?

Anybody know?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Dont know how much they weigh. I do know a ranger size bed full of clean copper coils brings around 700$ around here

I don't cut them up, just pull them out with the ends still attached. I got $1.20/lb. this week.

I just scrapped out a 3 ton condenser coil, 3 ton evap coil, and a 5 ton evap coil last weekend. Total wieght for all was 50 lbs at $1.25 per lbs. Sorry i didnt answer your question exactly.

Well a 3 ton condener coil weighs 3 tons of course! Just kidding, it was to good an opportunity to pass up:-)

Well; let me help you with it - we can work together on this one.

A condenser coil is about 20% larger than an evaporator coil. A 5 ton evap is 40% larger than a 3 ton evap.

So:
    3 ton evap = 3
    3 ton condenser = 3.6
    5 ton evap = 4.2
    ---------------------------
    Total - 10.8

So 50 divided by 10.8 = 4.63

And 4.63 x 3 = 14 lbs for your 3 ton evap.

Or: $17.36 for a 3 ton evap coil and $24.30 for a 5 ton evap coil.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by HAWK 87 View Post
    I just scrapped out a 3 ton condenser coil, 3 ton evap coil, and a 5 ton evap coil last weekend. Total wieght for all was 50 lbs at $1.25 per lbs. Sorry i didnt answer your question exactly.
    PHM
    --------

It sure must make customers wonder how we can move them around so easily, huh?

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by JDenyer232 View Post
    Well a 3 ton condener coil weighs 3 tons of course! Just kidding, it was to good an opportunity to pass up:-)
    PHM
    --------

I don't let my scrap build up. As soon asI get the old unit back to the shop, I'll pull the copper, fan motor, and compressor. I only get $30 or so for all of it. I know it's worth more if u cut the ends off of the condenser coil but I don't mess with it.

Quote Originally Posted by flanders View Post
    I don't let my scrap build up. As soon asI get the old unit back to the shop, I'll pull the copper, fan motor, and compressor. I only get $30 or so for all of it. I know it's worth more if u cut the ends off of the condenser coil but I don't mess with it.
    I have a small pile hidden in back , and one day when im bored will cut them up to get top dollar.

Im also waiting for copper to rise again

it was once like 4.25 lb

To early in the morning to figure stuff out. I will just take your word for it. I have a bunch of condensers and evaps, old motors and compressors that I have to junk. Make my plow truck a lot lighter. Then start over.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Well; let me help you with it - we can work together on this one.

A condenser coil is about 20% larger than an evaporator coil. A 5 ton evap is 40% larger than a 3 ton evap.

So:
    3 ton evap = 3
    3 ton condenser = 3.6
    5 ton evap = 4.2
    ---------------------------
    Total - 10.8

So 50 divided by 10.8 = 4.63

And 4.63 x 3 = 14 lbs for your 3 ton evap.

Or: $17.36 for a 3 ton evap coil and $24.30 for a 5 ton evap coil.

PHM
    ------

I use a service that picks up old equipment and does the trash removal for scrap value.
    Supply house delivers equipment.

I can work out of a Ford Pinto station wagon.

So PHM, why do you ask? I have a 2.5 ton from the 60's in the back I could weigh for you if it would help.

Winter project.
    Take all units apart, use the recip saw and cut the ends off the coils (takes 3 minutes) to get a much better price.
    Condenser coils come in different sizes, so I'm not sure what to say it weighs.

I had two large condensing coils, and two evap coils with the ends cut off and got 200 bucks.

The rest of the metal is just change except the aluminum (about .40 pound- and Trane coils have a lot of it), but I have to get rid of it.

Last year, I made enough to pay for most of a 5 day cruise for two.

Have to separate everything though to get top dollar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast