Please explain what the "setback" is on a thermostat

Is it the stat setting that allows a wider range of temps? For instance say i set the stat to 78 and have a 2 degree setback, does that mean the ac wont go off until it hits 76? or does it mean the ac wont come on until it hits 80? Sorry but im a little (ok a lot) confused on this terminology.

Another question is whats the normal flucuation of temp inside a home before the ac comes back on? 1 degree? 2 degrees? or more? Thanks fellars!

Setback, is a feature used for when you go to bed or a way to work. Allows the temp to rise or fall(depending on season) to a higher temp setting then normal, to conserve energy.

Temp differential(sometimes referred to as temp swing) is the amount of temp rise or fall allowed before the unit will come on for heating or cooling.

How much differential/swing varies with the brand of thermostat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

so the "swing" is the amount the temp will vary in a room then right? ok thanks so what is the normal swing for a system?

I generally don't use thermostats with a swing. I use Honeywell thermostats that have a CPH(Cycles Per Hour). They don't let the temp rise more then .5 degree above set temp before bringing on the A/C, and don't let the temp drop more then .5 degree below set temp before shutting the A/C off. They are comfort thermostats.

I would imagine that a swing of more then 2 degrees would not be real comfortable.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?