Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Carrier Install

Carrier Install

After much time and effort, I have chosen to have my 12 year old 3 ton poorly running system replaced with a new Carrier install. It will be a 3.5 ton which was determined by 4 separate HVAC techs. 2 guesstimated and 2 did the whole home insp but all said 3.5. I live in Central NC with 2000 sf with a bed and bath zoned upstairs.
    I'm debating over which line to use based on cost and performance and would like to hear any suggestions.

Thank you all who take the time on this site to reply and share knowledge. I have learned allot over the last month.

Unusual that a 2001 constructed home would need 1 ton per 571 sq ft. What duct work modifications are they proposing to handle the additional air the 3.5 ton will need to move over what the 3 ton did. Most duct systems are undersized to begin with, so doubtful your current duct system is actually big enough for the current 3 ton.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The only duct modifications proposed between any of them were an extra duct routed to the home office because its 80+ degrees in the summer with the AC set on 75 and two of them stated that the some of the ducts were too large for what I have. Ex, I have 8" where there should be 6". I do know that I do not have allot of airflow anywhere even with the upstairs turned off. The flow issue was verified by every technician except one. He stated that " air flow is air flow" and that you didn't to feel it 1 foot above a register to make the system work.
    I do know that I have 15 registers downstairs for the 3 bedrooms and 6 registers upstairs for 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom. I also have 16' ceilings in 2 rooms if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Hempinfool View Post
    The only duct modifications proposed between any of them were an extra duct routed to the home office because its 80+ degrees in the summer with the AC set on 75 and two of them stated that the some of the ducts were too large for what I have. Ex, I have 8" where there should be 6". I do know that I do not have allot of airflow anywhere even with the upstairs turned off. The flow issue was verified by every technician except one. He stated that " air flow is air flow" and that you didn't to feel it 1 foot above a register to make the system work.
    I do know that I have 15 registers downstairs for the 3 bedrooms and 6 registers upstairs for 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom. I also have 16' ceilings in 2 rooms if that matters.
    Well I would eliminate the individual that said "air flow is air flow"

It is all about airflow. Each cubic foot of air equates to a % of btu content per pound of air. It is the most critical factor for either heating or cooling.

I do know that I have 15 registers downstairs for the 3 bedrooms and 6 registers upstairs for 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom.

I also have 16' ceilings in 2 rooms if that matters.
    5 Registers Per bedroom is really Unique.
    But, we don't know if the registers are 3" x 6" or 4" x 12"
    or what type.
    http://www.hartandcooley.com/grilles...-diffusers-grd

16 foot ceilings means STANDARD HVAC PRACTICES DO NOT APPLY.
    Exterior wall surface has got to be significantly increased.
    __________________________ ___ __________
    A zone as small as one bedroom and a bath could be a real issue.
    The minimum open position for the other modulating dampers would have to be about 2/3rds.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I wasn't very clear about the registers. I meant that I have 15 for the whole downstairs. Sorry about that. This is my first house with registers in a closet and it seemed excessive. I was told also to close some of them up by a HVAC tech but then I read about that wasn't a great idea because the system was designed for them to be open. The only issue everyone agrees on is, my system isn't very efficient for what I have.

Closets need very little air flow to keep them reasonable. Bathrooms don't need a whole lot more air then a closet. So 15 registers doesn't really say that you have too big of a duct system, or too many registers.

Lack or return will hamper air flow. So will an undersized supply trunk.

Did any of them check the static pressure in your duct system. Probably not.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

Did any of them check the static pressure in your duct system. Probably not.
    I didn't hear anyone mention it.....
    When they install the system should here be a test that is done to ensure the system is as efficient as possible.
    Also I am trying to decide between a 3 ton Infinity series or a 3.5 ton Performance series. The seer difference was .5 as stated on the estimate.

A static pressure test should be done on every duct system before a unit is sold. But seldom is. Many companies/techs don't know how to do one.

It can show where the air flow problem is before the new system is installed, so that you don't end up with a loud register problem. or still have low air flow, and a freezing up coil.
    Contractor locator map

After much time and effort, I have chosen to have my 12 year old 3 ton poorly running system replaced with a new Carrier install. It will be a 3.5 ton which was determined by 4 separate HVAC techs. 2 guesstimated and 2 did the whole home insp but all said 3.5. I live in Central NC with 2000 sf with a bed and bath zoned upstairs.
    I'm debating over which line to use based on cost and performance and would like to hear any suggestions.

Thank you all who take the time on this site to reply and share knowledge. I have learned allot over the last month.
    Is it fair to call your home a story and a half? With 15 registers down and 6 upstairs it sounds like it. Rarely is ductwork too large. Does the home have zoning, i.e., thermostat down and up? With the Carrier Infinity you'll need a variable-speed blower. Are you getting a new furnace as well?

I thought they all agreed on a 3.5 ton.....who is suggesting the 3 ton? If you're having airflow issues, I would suggest that YOU (since the salesmen aren't concerned) check the return air situation.

Here's an easy way how: Tape tissues over some of the registers that you think have low airflow and (with the A/C on) visually "check" the airflow. Turn off the A/C. Now remove the blower door (you'll need to tape or whatever the door switch to keep the blower running). Use the blower door to partially block the (furnace) opening, you'll want some restriction. Turn the A/C on and visually "re-check" the tissue paper. I think you'll find a big improvement in the airflow. F.Y.I. I agree with 2nd Opinion, airflow is everything, drop the salesman (company) that wasn't concerned about it. I have never heard that "one" before.

You then will know more than the HVAC guys if my guess is right.

Yes, I'd say I have a story and a half and Yes I have 2 zones with a thermostat upstairs and down. I am replacing air handler and the outside heat pump.
    The first estimate from the company I chose was a 3.5 ton 25HCC542A003 heat pump and a FE4ANF005 handler. Then I asked about the heat pump being from the "Performance Line" and the handler being from the "Infinity line". He said that the Infinity Line didn't come in 1/2 tons. That's how I got the 3 ton 25HNB36A003 heat pump.

I will check the blower door tissue test.

Thank you all for your assistance. I will be more informed when they come to install the system.

Yes, I'd say I have a story and a half and Yes I have 2 zones with a thermostat upstairs and down. I am replacing air handler and the outside heat pump.
    The first estimate from the company I chose was a 3.5 ton 25HCC542A003 heat pump and a FE4ANF005 handler. Then I asked about the heat pump being from the "Performance Line" and the handler being from the "Infinity line". He said that the Infinity Line didn't come in 1/2 tons. That's how I got the 3 ton 25HNB36A003 heat pump.

I will check the blower door tissue test.

Thank you all for your assistance. I will be more informed when they come to install the system.
    With zoning, you want to have a 2-stage H/P (or A/C), if you stay with a 3 ton unit. Is the air handler in the house or the attic? Your home, with zoning, should cool with a 2.5 ton all day long.

I don't know how hot it gets there, but I have a 2,250 sq. ft., 1 1/2 story colonial, 3 zones, and my wife runs the 2nd floor to 65 degrees at night. Don't ask why. I cool the house with a 2.5 ton A/C.

yes it sounds real bad a/c should never be up sized and what exactly is a whole house inspection there needs to be a manual j done on the house period !!! no guessing aloud! you will never be happy if you get a system that is even slightly oversized they just dont ever work rite keep looking for the rite contractor

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast