Adding a second/supplemental unit

I have a 3 story cabin in the North Georgia mountains. I'm pretty sure the unit was sized correctly (not there now so I can not report the size). House is around 3k sq. ft. Problem has always been the top floor (3BR - 700-800 sq ft) is always hot, while the second floor (where the thermostat is) is great and the first floor is a little too cool. I have tried shutting off most of the supply air on the bottom two floor to force more air to the 3rd floor and close returns on 1st floor - did not help much.

I'm now wanting to add a 2nd system. My wife does not like the look of the ductless mini-splits so it will either be a ducted mini split or a small unit. Any advice? My real question is should I close off the supply air from the main unit and just add a second unit or should I make the second unit supplemental. In either case what size should I be looking at. My current thought was the Mitsubishi ducted mini-split with 24k BTU as a supplement but I really have no idea what I'm doing. And it is hard to find anyone in the service area that is good at design issues.

Thanks for any guidance/suggestions.

Attic above it? Small 1.5 ton duct system would be the way to go. We've done a couple in the last month for top floors not cooling from the main unit.

I'd leave the ducts open for the main unit. Closing too many could cause it to freeze up. Usually the ducts to higher floors are too small so closing main floor vents doesn't help cool above anyway.

Thanks for the advice.

Yep, attic available. Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Attic above it? Small 1.5 ton duct system would be the way to go. We've done a couple in the last month for top floors not cooling from the main unit.

I'd leave the ducts open for the main unit. Closing too many could cause it to freeze up. Usually the ducts to higher floors are too small so closing main floor vents doesn't help cool above anyway.