Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Contractor can't resolve water running sound (Freeon line) in attic, any ideas?

Hello,
    Just installed a 13 seer Rheem AJN series last week and the unit makes a rushing water sound in the attic that comes and goes. I'm certain is the freeon line and the contractor came out vacumed the entire line and insalled another filter in the line and new site glass outside. We didn't move the lineset or touched anything inside the attic and it's not leaning against any structure , just secured to a wood frame exactly like before.

It seems like there's a valve somewhere that closes and opens and you hear the freeon (running water )through the attic and goes away and comes back again. The contrcator is puzzeled and I'm wondering if you guys can suggest anything.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Did he recover the refrigerant, evacuate and charge with new refrigerant after the unit was installed and you heard the noise?

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 07-23-2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: non AOP Pro

Liquid line kinked somewhere? Undercharged? Is the service valve fully opened? I would assume at 13seer that it's got a txv. Bad txv? Have installer come back and get superheat, subcool, pressures and temps. The clue is in these measurements.

[QUOTE=AH2;16288711]Hello,
    Just installed a 13 seer Rheem AJN series last week and the unit makes a rushing water sound in the attic that comes and goes. I'm certain is the freeon line and the contractor came out vacumed the entire line and insalled another filter in the line and new site glass outside. We didn't move the lineset or touched anything inside the attic and it's not leaning against any structure , just secured to a wood frame exactly like before.

It seems like there's a valve somewhere that closes and opens and you hear the freeon (running water )through the attic and goes away and comes back again. The contrcator is puzzeled and I'm wondering if you guys can suggest anything.

Thanks in advance for your help.[/QUO

a coworker installed a new evap coil and txv r410a the homeowner complained on startup it made the hissing noise I explained its normal upon start up as the refr. enters the valve, 2 days later the lady calls back said its worst so I went and took everything apart and realized he never brazed in the equalizer line. its my fault though. so I pumped it all down and connected the equalizer line all was good. 2 weird things my pressures matched the charging chart. by the way it was a carrier, also it didn't leak from the equalizer line it was not brazed shut from txv it still had the plastic rubber cap on it. don't ask me what he was thinking. but maybe it wasn't installed properly. have your contractor open the a/h make sure the sensing bulb is installed and insulated properly. also make sure its the right valve for the right refrigerant, a big help would be superheat and subcool and pressure as mentioned before.

ReferTroop

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Contractor is not ablle to fix "Water running" sound from freeon line up in attic.

Thank you everyone. Yes, he did evacuate the entire system , removed all moisture and recharged the system for the 2nd time and we are hearing the same noise. The system is charged properly and no air in the lines. Not sure where the service valve is located or can you please let me know what a txv is?

I doubt there was any kink in the line, since he didn't touch the lines, but will have them come back and check the pressure, Temp, Superheat and subcool.

are the lines insulated?.a txv is a thermal expansion valve its a metering device for refrigerant goin into coil..on a 13 seer unit a fixed orface should be fine..the refrigeratnt 410a is much higher pressure than the r22. that may be a contributor to the sound..have the tech confirm the superheat and subcooling readings to be appropriate.

I wonder what installing a LL solenoid valve would do.

Is this a complete new system or did they just relace the outside condenser. Your post seems to infer that the refrigeration line were pre-existing. How much higher is the attic air handler than the outside unit. Can you post complete model numbers of the indoor and outdoor units please.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Thanks to all for your reply! Yes, this is a complete install of condenser Rheem Value series 3 Ton 13AJN36A01 and the matching evap coil inside the attic and it's Rheem and the model looks like ACFL3364422T. The line set inside the attic has not been touched and it's insulated with black rubber foams that have always been there. They just connected the condenser unit outside and installed the evaporator coil inside the attic.

I will call them tomorrow and provide them with the information from this post and have them come out and get the cooling reading and super heat. The contractor has told me he is willing to replace the outside unit, but I am thinking the culprit might be the txv and the evap coil and not the outside unit.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback!

Bulb placement on txv or undercharged or tubing vibrating on frame.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast