Question How does this Goodman furnace compare to this Lennox furnace?

Hey everyone, thanks for your help on my previous post.
    Unfortunately, things got a little more complicated since then.

After deciding to go with the Lennox SLP98 from the contractor who gave us a GREAT price (Contractor 1), he got two huge jobs and told me he wouldn't be able to help us anymore.

Luckily, we just got a quote from a contractor (Contractor 2) who told us that they price-match with apples-to-apples equipment. Their initial quote was pretty high, but since they told us they price-match, we figured they would keep to their policy and match Contractor 1's price on the same equipment.

To my dismay, Contractor 2 comes back after reviewing Contractor 1's estimate and says that they are not able to match the price and in fact can not go any lower on the Lennox SLP98. However, they did offer to match the price on a Goodman GMVC95.

So my questions are these: How does Goodman and Lennox compare overall? And how does the Lennox SLP98 compare with the GMVC95?

Thanks!

I was going to edit the post to remove the possibly confusing storyline, but it appears I'm too late.

Anyway, the main questions are:

How does Goodman and Lennox compare overall? And how does the Lennox SLP98 compare with the GMVC95? Are there any major drawbacks to going with the Goodman instead of the Lennox?

Anyone have any insight?

Everyone has their own opinion. Feature wise, they are comparable units. The Goodman likely costs the dealer quite a bit less. Might get a 3rd bid and see what equipment they propose and price. Lower prices can mean corners cut.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Everyone has their own opinion. Feature wise, they are comparable units. The Goodman likely costs the dealer quite a bit less. Might get a 3rd bid and see what equipment they propose and price. Lower prices can mean corners cut.
    Thanks, but we've received much different information from a 3rd contractor that contradicts what Contractor 1 and Contractor 2 suggest regarding the variable speed furnace (see my first post I linked to in the top post here). Originally, we were told by Contractor 3 that a variable speed furnace would cause duct noise because our ducts are slightly undersized. However, we spoke to a mechanical engineer we know who came and measured our ducts and concluded that a variable speed furnace would be fine and in the event that there are any concerns, there is a dipswitch setting that can adjust the cfms 10% either way.

I'm mainly looking for opinions on Goodman vs. Lennox, not necessarily having to do with price.

As BaldLoonie already alluded to, feature wise they are similar. Comes down to installation and the dealer's confidence in the equipment and it's support network. What it sounds like is contractor #1 under bid on the Lennox equipment and ducked out. As heating professionals, we all realize that equipment as a general rule is designed to perform a given function and as long as good installation practices are adhered to, customer comfort and equipment reliability are pretty much constant from one brand to another.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    As BaldLoonie already alluded to, feature wise they are similar. Comes down to installation and the dealer's confidence in the equipment and it's support network. What it sounds like is contractor #1 under bid on the Lennox equipment and ducked out. As heating professionals, we all realize that equipment as a general rule is designed to perform a given function and as long as good installation practices are adhered to, customer comfort and equipment reliability are pretty much constant from one brand to another.
    Thank you, but I know Contractor 1 as a semi-friend through my office. So I think he was trying to give us a good deal on the Lennox.

If you guys are saying that a Goodman furnace is as good as a Lennox furnace if the same contractor installs it, that helps my decision.