Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Temperature measurement for subcooling

Have any of you guys used the fieldpeice SSX34 Superheat and Subcooling standalone meter with pipe clamp. This looks like it might save some time and have less tools to carry around. How does this compare to the fluke 55 and pipe clamp. If you thinK there is something better then what do you suggest.

http://www.fieldpiece.com/stand-alone.html

Never used that meter, but I have heard good things about it. I have a set of Yellow Jacket digital gauges with a temp probe that I use often. I also have a Fluke 52 with probes that work well. There are many ways to get the same result. Just the fact that you are making the effort to do it the correct way sets you apart from many techs out there.

Bobby

I have used this tool for about six months and it has worked quite well.You do have to check temp. calibration at least once a month.Mine has needed adjusting twice.

Use the Yelow Jacket digital manifold. It will tell you the SH or SC and then you won't need the extra tool.

Id marry her if she would accept me...

I hope this doesn't come off bad.... but why do you need a meter to subtract or add for you?

I suck at service, but never really had a problem getting accurate superheat and subcooling readings with good gauges and a good clamp t-couple.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Its so pretty (oohhh ahhhhh) I can usually do complex math in my head thats not the issue...its for ease in my case...I will get these one day I just hope they are like computers and the price will be down in like 2 months to 25% of original value (exaggeration)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    I hope this doesn't come off bad.... but why do you need a meter to subtract or add for you?

I suck at service, but never really had a problem getting accurate superheat and subcooling readings with good gauges and a good clamp t-couple.
    One reason, the manufacter. Hoshizaki specified digital gauges and thermometers for warranty work.
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

It's not just the adding or subtracting, it's the accuracy. I get frustrated when the mechanical refrigerant gauges lose their accuracy and I don't realize it until the measurements don't add up. In fact it is usually when I am seeing bubbles in the LL sight glass and observing temperature and pressure before I find out that the gauge has lost the accuracy. If it weren't for the LL sight glass it would have taken longer to find out, let alone this mis-charging of the units.

Then there is the dilemna of using a single manifold for R-22 and R-410a; The scale on the dials are so wide it makes accuracy on R-22 systems difficult since the scale has to be wide for 410a. With the digital you have the accuracy at both R-22 and R-410a pressures not to mention the convenience of being able to select many other refrigerants. I've got R-134a and R-404a systems to work on also but cannot find a 22/410a/134a/404a manifold unless it's digital.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    Its so pretty (oohhh ahhhhh) I can usually do complex math in my head thats not the issue...its for ease in my case...I will get these one day I just hope they are like computers and the price will be down in like 2 months to 25% of original value (exaggeration)
    You have 3 days left to get them on sale at Johnstone...

I bought the FieldPiece 'head' that does SH/SC for 22/410 last Spring and used it all last season. I like it, it works well for me. Note: It comes with a "T" on top to connect it. I found it leaks unless you tighten it up snug...

I have a full bag of FieldPiece instruments, I like them. I bought lots of the accessory handles (at the time about $20 ea), and have each instrument on a separate handle. Works well for me. I also like the blue 'breifcase' bag for the instruments.

If YellowJacket will catch up on back-orders, I will have a digital manifold so I can save the FP for backup.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sadlier View Post
    You have 3 days left to get them on sale at Johnstone...
    DIG MANFLD/REF SYS ANLYZR 40805 DIGITAL MANIFOLD
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Order# H26-639
    Mfg Part# 40805
    Vendor RITCHIE ENG CO INC
    Catalog Pg# 1361
    Substitute Items
    No Substitute Items Available.
    Add-On Items
    No Add-On Items Available.

Qty
    @ $699.00 each
    = $699.00 total

Add To List