refrigerant piping

Thanks to John Mill's page here:
    http://www.johnmills.net/work/advice.html

In the "WHICH REFRIGERANT" section, I see this bit about using a flush agent in the refrigerant piping.

I am trying to determine if that paragraph on Mill's page applies to an installation of a completely new heat pump + air handler system.

I was wondering if this involves the the copper line (which is embedded in the building) that connects from the heat pump to the air handler. Or is that for some other functionality?

I read a warranty warning on a manufacturer's web site (the kind that is in the open wholesale network, as opposed to the closed dealer type of distribution) that said: If the old lines that were previously running R22 and were connected then it would void the warranty.

Thx for clarification...
    Keith

yes, he's talking about the embedded lines.
    if the equipment you are planning to use, requires new lines, then you should.
    I recommend new lines on every job, but sometimes it's not practical. warranty may be affected, but if done correctly, cleaned lines will have no effect on longevity of the equipment.
    it's that "if done correctly" part that gets you.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablydumb View Post
    Thanks to John Mill's page here:
    http://www.johnmills.net/work/advice.html

In the "WHICH REFRIGERANT" section, I see this bit about using a flush agent in the refrigerant piping.

I am trying to determine if that paragraph on Mill's page applies to an installation of a completely new heat pump + air handler system.

I was wondering if this involves the the copper line (which is embedded in the building) that connects from the heat pump to the air handler. Or is that for some other functionality?

I read a warranty warning on a manufacturer's web site (the kind that is in the open wholesale network, as opposed to the closed dealer type of distribution) that said: If the old lines that were previously running R22 and were connected then it would void the warranty.

Thx for clarification...
    Keith
    All manufacturers recommend replacing the line set, not requiring it unless it is the wrong size.
    Using a flush if done properly will clean up the line set and not cause any problem, "when done correctly".

If your hands where dirty with oil on them would you just blow air over them, or would you use a solvent to remove the oil?