New Lennox System (XC16 & XC17)

This is a first post for me, so excuse my ignorance.

I have a 3800 sq. ft home in Houston, TX. The home is 2 stories both with equal square footage (1400 sq. Ft / floor) and a very open concept. There is a lot of glass on the west facing side of the home. The house is 16 yrs old with existing Lennox 12 SEER equipment.

Existing equipment functions, but runs non-stop. I've tracked my electicity usage over the last three years and this year sets a new bar.

I've had multiple contractors price out equipment. Weighing both price and quality, I am most comfortable with Lennox equipment.

The contractor that I have chosen recommends the following equipment with plan to utilize a 2 stage system down stairs and a single stage system up. Most of the living is on the down stairs. Currently, the 2nd floor is unoccupied.

Lennox 16SEER 4Ton 1-stage
    Condenser: XC14-047
    Furnace: EL180UH090E60C
    Slab Coil: CH23-51

Lennox 16SEER 4Ton 2-stage
    Condenser: XC17-048
    Furnace: SL280UH090V60C
    Slab Coil: CH23-65

Lennox iComfort Thermostats

After repeated requests from multiple contractors, I can't find one to run a Manual J calculation to properly size the system. The size proposed is comparable to what is currently installed. All installers are aligned on the tonnage.

A few questions to the group:

1) Are these systems properly matched?
    2) Is it common to utilize a 2-stage system (for comfort) in the main living areas and a single stage system in the remainder of the home?
    3) I have some concern that the proposed HVAC system is going to be more efficient than my home - is there a drawback besides the front end cost?

Appreciate replies.

Have you done all that you can with that hot Texas sun on those exposed west windows?

8 tons for 3800 sq feet .... wow..... need load calcs.....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Quote Originally Posted by IRBH View Post
    Have you done all that you can with that hot Texas sun on those exposed west windows?
    Yes, we have solar screens on the west facing windows and close the blinds during the peak of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by carmon View Post
    8 tons for 3800 sq feet .... wow..... need load calcs.....
    I kind of feel the same way. I've done some very preliminary calcs myself and come up with a bit over 6 tons. My calcs are probably more conservative than most software packages.

You haven't found the right contractor. With your situation - A Manual J load calc. NEEDS to be done. Keep searching until you find one that will do a load calc. If you need help finding a contractor, check out the locator map on this site.

Seer and brand won't matter if the system isn't sized correctly. If the contractor fails to perform a Manual J, what else will they fail to perform?

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 07-31-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IRBH View Post
    Well, they did tell me that everything is BIGGER in Texas! (two equal 1400sq ft floors= 3800ft)

Seriously though, have you had your current system checked for optimum operation? Something simple like undue head pressure, duct leakage, etc etc may be crippling your AC. Have it checked out-without mentioning that you're considering replacement...all those dollar signs may be clouding the guys vision.
    I've had folks out prior two and mid season for the last two years for some sort of maintenance issue. In the heat of the summer, I take who I can get because I'm usually in a bind. All have said that my systems were "past" due for replacement. I've milked this cow for as long as I can afford. After 16 years, I think they did their job.

IRBH

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Adios fellas. Thanks to those that helped.