Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leak detection, What would you use?

Post Likes
    I recommend a D-Tek Select. They have a tip upgrade so as not to catch so much big blu(I heard). I found this dandy little leak (pictured below)easily with the D-Tek, and shifting it into low sens. took me right to the bridge and dropped me off.
    Here are a couple of pics for your kind review.
    I must say that for whatever reason this little leak repair was whipping me bad until I put brazing flux on it. All in a day's work I guess. That's why they make nitrogen.

I have had the H-10 for some years now and it is very reliable. Don't remember getting false readings from it.

Now the D-Tek is a bump detector. Try wiggling it thru pipes and such and bump into something.....it will alarm..
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

Brooklyn, NY Occupation: HVAC Service Contractor
    Post Likes

H-10pm

"All I keep hearing from you guys is how great this H-10 is. I'm considering purchasing one now. What can I expect to spend? What's the best place to find one? I understand there's several manufacturers, so which particular brand is the best?"

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/YOK-H10PM.html

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    Whenever I have a small leak(s) in the Evaporator, it always seems like I have a lot of growth in the drain pan. The bacteria feeds off the oil and water. If it's a large leak with a lot of oil, you just get an oil and water mixture. A place that I've had odd ball leaks is in the bullet style pressure controls, with the refrigerant leaking out of the wires. Also kids bubble soap is great for finding very small leaks.

I have found that small leaks in the a-coils leave virtually no oil. Removing the coil and isolating it with a nitro test and bubbles will do the trick. These are the type of leaks where they take a pound or so every year or two.
    Big blue seems to be better at finding very small leaks rather than bigger ones. It creates a big cluster of bubbles over time with a tiny leak, but a thinner mixture of soap seems to work better at the larger leaks.

With the higher pressure of 410A it will be interesting to see how these coils hold up.

Post Likes
    zx1 and the h10 . The h10 is still one of the best made

Post Likes
    generally speaking. i use a D-Tek to get me in the vicinity and soap bubbles to pinpoint...

Post Likes
    h 10 stay away from h-10 pm or anything batery powerd

Post Likes
    409 soap works great for small leaks.
    I am here to make money for me and the company, I only guarantee one of 'em.

Post Likes

Cool Hvac Tech

stethascope...cant spell but what docs listen to heart..D- tek , soapy-water, nitrogen..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in