Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Driers? One internal and one external?

Post Likes

Question Two Driers? One internal and one external?

Hi, I have just moved into a new home and am now 'learning' my systems. Funny how when you buy a car you get a 'phone-book' sized instruction manual but when you buy a home you get the keys and nothing more, LOL....

Anyway, I noticed on my Carrier 5-ton Heat-pump/AC condenser unit outside that I have an external Drier on the liquid line. I can see (looking through the fan from the top that there's a drier still installed internally?

Why would a tech not remove the internal Drier if he intended to add one externally? Is this common practice?

Thanks again

Post Likes
    While multiple driers are frowned upon as they can cause excessive drops in pressure,, if the system is otherwise functioning properly I would not worry about it. The one in the unit itself is factory installed and the installer may have opted to add eon without knowing there was one. If the system is opened for whatever reason, that would be the time to remove both and install 1 new one. It would be counter productive to remove it on a functional system in my opinion.

Post Likes
    Are you sure it isn't a discharge line muffler? They can tend to look similar. Can you post a picture of what you're looking at?

As for an internal drier, does it appear to be factory installed or field installed at some later point? I could be wrong, but I believe Carrier has shipped the drier with the outdoor unit (field installed) for quite some time, at least the past several years, so if there is one installed internal to the unit, it was added at some later point. And yes, when opening the refrigerant system it is best practice to remove the existing filter drier and install new.

Post Likes
    I think Ryan is right on this one.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Are you sure it isn't a discharge line muffler? They can tend to look similar. Can you post a picture of what you're looking at?

As for an internal drier, does it appear to be factory installed or field installed at some later point? I could be wrong, but I believe Carrier has shipped the drier with the outdoor unit (field installed) for quite some time, at least the past several years, so if there is one installed internal to the unit, it was added at some later point. And yes, when opening the refrigerant system it is best practice to remove the existing filter drier and install new.
    I assumed it to be a drier as it's on the liquid side and it does appear to be factory. It appears to connected between the reversing manifold and the compressor with a pipe that resembles a p-trap.

I'll see if I can shoot a pix although I'll have to lift the fan to see.......

Post Likes
    Well, here's an attachment (I hope)....

Name:  IMG_0283.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  58.2 KB

Post Likes
    It's a muffler.. That unit looks pretty ancient. The compressor terminal block cover is missing.....let a sleeping dog lie

Post Likes
    Well, the house was built in 2002 so unless they installed a used condenser somewhere along the line my guess is that it's around 10 years old.......

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    It's a muffler.. That unit looks pretty ancient. The compressor terminal block cover is missing.....let a sleeping dog lie
    Its a drier, someone probably change the coil and instead of recovering and taking the internal drier out, they just pumped the unit down and installed a new drier at the coil.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    That compressor looks like its running Hot.

Side question.....what made you think about 2 driers? Are you in the industry?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Its a drier, someone probably change the coil and instead of recovering and taking the internal drier out, they just pumped the unit down and installed a new drier at the coil.
    No its not Mr bill. Hes right its a muffler.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Looked like a bi flow drier, but I could be wrong, we have probably 100 HP's in Houston, so not to good with them.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    That compressor looks like its running Hot.

Side question.....what made you think about 2 driers? Are you in the industry?
    Hot? There's some paint missing from the top and some still on the sides (of the top).....Just looks like weather related wear to me.

I have done (*sigh) my share of auto a/c repairs over the years....I'm no expert but I am fairly savvy about refrigeration systems, at least to an extent that's many times more than your typical homeowner.....

Edit: Oh, the wiring cover I knocked off by accident. It's back in place now.....

Post Likes
    Well, if I can lift the top high enough tomorrow (and get the wife's cooperation to hold onto it, I'll see if I can get a mirror on it to read the label. I thought it was a drier, but what do I know <shrug>.....

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 07-31-2013 at 05:58 AM. Reason: non AOP Pro

Post Likes
    30GTN150

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    The location is in the hot gas portion and a drier would never be placed there from the factory. The bends in the line between the compressor and the reversing valve are factory made and would not be in that orientation if it was not there to begin with.

Post Likes
    Well, I was able to read the label and it says.....MUFFLER....

So my own ignorance and inexperience led me to believe that there were two driers when only one exists in the system......

Thanks all.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by branded View Post

So my own ignorance and inexperience led me to believe that there were two driers when only one exists in the system......

Thanks all.....
    You are not the first to have thought that, and there will be plenty more with the same assumption.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by branded View Post

Thanks all.....
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    You are not the first to have thought that, and there will be plenty more with the same assumption.
    X2...

Many a person employed in this business make that mistake...

Keep that unit clean and it will run for you for a while longer.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in