Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    No its not Mr bill. Hes right its a muffler.
    Well, if I can lift the top high enough tomorrow (and get the wife's cooperation to hold onto it, I'll see if I can get a mirror on it to read the label. I thought it was a drier, but what do I know <shrug>.....

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 07-31-2013 at 05:58 AM. Reason: non AOP Pro

30GTN150

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

The location is in the hot gas portion and a drier would never be placed there from the factory. The bends in the line between the compressor and the reversing valve are factory made and would not be in that orientation if it was not there to begin with.

Well, I was able to read the label and it says.....MUFFLER....

So my own ignorance and inexperience led me to believe that there were two driers when only one exists in the system......

Thanks all.....

Quote Originally Posted by branded View Post

So my own ignorance and inexperience led me to believe that there were two driers when only one exists in the system......

Thanks all.....
    You are not the first to have thought that, and there will be plenty more with the same assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by branded View Post

Thanks all.....
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    You are not the first to have thought that, and there will be plenty more with the same assumption.
    X2...

Many a person employed in this business make that mistake...

Keep that unit clean and it will run for you for a while longer.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    X2...

Many a person employed in this business make that mistake...

Keep that unit clean and it will run for you for a while longer.
    With the exception of York I know of no other MFG that installs a dryer in the discharge side of the compressor.

Who cares anymore, he found out it was a muffler, is there still something the OP needs answered here? Read my sig. "Mistakes are proof that you are trying" of course this don't apply to all, some don't make any mistakes.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Who cares anymore, he found out it was a muffler, is there still something the OP needs answered here? Read my sig. "Mistakes are proof that you are trying" of course this don't apply to all, some don't make any mistakes.
    No Bill, I've got all my answers....I at least like to have a cursory knowledge of what's 'under the hood' in case this thing does decide its had enough...I at least know where the run cap is and the contactor and defrost board and so on.....

That rust on top of the compressor is a sign that it is running hot and IMHO would not be a bad idea to have checked out/serviced/check superheat/subcool.

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    That rust on top of the compressor is a sign that it is running hot and IMHO would not be a bad idea to have checked out/serviced/check superheat/subcool.
    Well, I haven't actually measured the temperature of the top of the compressor (what would be 'hot'?) but I have checked the sub cooling myself and it's around 10 degrees which is what its supposed to be.

It also sounds 'normal'.....I'm a big fan of not fixing what isn't broken (yet), especially given the age of this unit.

A scroll compressor (new Copeland 5 ton 61k BTU) would cost around $1k and the installation labor costs, having to take down the system, recharge and so on tells me that I don't want to mess with it right now.

looks like a beach in there, lotta sand
    Always here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12