Bristol two stage reciprocating - Carrier Infinity

Bristol two stage reciprocating - Carrier Infinity

I've posted many messages here over the years about this problem, and its been so strange I haven't been able to get it fixed. But I've confirmed that it is an intermittent problem.

24ANA7 Carrier, with a Bristol reciprocating two stage. Lo stage works great. Hi stage: almost always, supply air temp goes up 5F, hi side pressure drops about 10psig, compressor amp draw goes up about 80% (usually not quite 100%). Its been like this for years, possible since I had it installed 6 years ago.

Now, sometimes it decides to work in hi stage. Hi side pressure goes up 50+ psig , supply air temp goes down a little, compressor amp draw goes up about 100%. (not a real big difference on compressor amp draw). When I say it sometimes works - the first time I noticed it working properly this summer was Monday evening, and oddly enough its been working for 2 days. But I'm sure it will go back to its old behavior.

Last summer Carrier paid for a new TXV, 4” spacer between the blower and evap, and a new blower motor, but I’ve lost Carrier’s “interest” because their local rep moved on. (long story there)

Here is the question – does anyone know enough about those Bristol two stage compressors to render an opinion on how that could mechanically work one minute and not work the next (only hi stage). Its almost as of that 2nd cylinder doesn’t engage when it reverses direction, but then sometime does engage.

I know I really have to get a local HVAC contractor and Carrier involved, and I know about the Bristol compressor dealer service bulletin, but so far I’m not getting much traction there.

They are junk. There is a bulletin as you have probably seen. It has a tiered system to replace the entire unit or just the compressor. I don't remember the specific details at this exact time. But you have some out of pocket expenses. At the age of the unit you have, I think Carrier will sell the contractor the unit at around $ which you have to pay for plus whatever labor he charges to do it. They don't cover that. Which is a lot less than buying a new unit. I think you can choose an option where they pay for the compressor and labor up to a certain amount. If you go with new unit, the 10 year parts warranty restarts just on the condenser. You just need to find a Carrier contractor and get them to do it.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-01-2013 at 05:05 AM. Reason: price
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-31-2013 at 09:00 AM.

union 189

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Just wanted to post an update on this. Its been working great for a couple of months (since my last post at the end of July 2013).

This is the first time in years, that it has worked properly for an extended period of time. The only thing anyone can think of is that the 2nd cylinder in that Bristol compressor has not been engaging properly when it reverses direction (high stage). Whats making it work now, consistently is anyone's guess. Unfortunately I have to wait for it to quit working again before that can evaluate its eligibility for that Carrier Bristol compressor replacement program. As long as it continues to work, I guess I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by rogressem View Post
    I've posted many messages here over the years about this problem, and its been so strange I haven't been able to get it fixed. But I've confirmed that it is an intermittent problem.

24ANA7 Carrier, with a Bristol reciprocating two stage. Lo stage works great. Hi stage: almost always, supply air temp goes up 5F, hi side pressure drops about 10psig, compressor amp draw goes up about 80% (usually not quite 100%). Its been like this for years, possible since I had it installed 6 years ago.

Now, sometimes it decides to work in hi stage. Hi side pressure goes up 50+ psig , supply air temp goes down a little, compressor amp draw goes up about 100%. (not a real big difference on compressor amp draw). When I say it sometimes works - the first time I noticed it working properly this summer was Monday evening, and oddly enough its been working for 2 days. But I'm sure it will go back to its old behavior.

Last summer Carrier paid for a new TXV, 4” spacer between the blower and evap, and a new blower motor, but I’ve lost Carrier’s “interest” because their local rep moved on. (long story there)

Here is the question – does anyone know enough about those Bristol two stage compressors to render an opinion on how that could mechanically work one minute and not work the next (only hi stage). Its almost as of that 2nd cylinder doesn’t engage when it reverses direction, but then sometime does engage.

I know I really have to get a local HVAC contractor and Carrier involved, and I know about the Bristol compressor dealer service bulletin, but so far I’m not getting much traction there.