Thread: Trane XV95 or Carrier Infinity 96

Post Likes

Trane XV95 or Carrier Infinity 96

I live in the tri-valley in California and thinking about replacing my HVAC unit. it is a single story about 1600 sq ft. It is a upflow system with all the duct work in the attic. Both of the companies has high marks and is similar in price about $200 difference. Any Suggestions?

I am replacing the HVAC system and the Ductwork with R-8

Option 1
    Trane XV95 -
    Trane A/c Evaporator Coil
    Trane XB300 13 SEER condenser - 3 Ton

Option 2:
    Carrier Infinity 96 -
    Carrier Evaporator coils
    Carrier 14 SEER Condenser - 24ABC6 - 3 Ton

Post Likes
    The XV95 is a great machine but the XB300 is not. I'd boot that option in favor of the XR13 which likely will get 14 SEER with the 95.

The Infinity 96 is equally nice and can use the Infinity control. The 24ABC6 is a basic 16 SEER unit so a long way from the XB300.

How did they determine A/C size? Is this desert climate? 3 tons for 1600 sq ft is a lot. Be sure they are using R8 flex ducts. That helps keep attic heat out of the ducts.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The XV95 is a great machine but the XB300 is not. I'd boot that option in favor of the XR13 which likely will get 14 SEER with the 95.

The Infinity 96 is equally nice and can use the Infinity control. The 24ABC6 is a basic 16 SEER unit so a long way from the XB300.

How did they determine A/C size? Is this desert climate? 3 tons for 1600 sq ft is a lot. Be sure they are using R8 flex ducts. That helps keep attic heat out of the ducts.
    ------

Thanks. The original AC was 2.5 Tons and original to the house in 1977. They calculated 600 sq ft for each ton and factored in that we had high ceiling. The weather is about 85-95 in the summer and maybe 10-15 days out of the year reaches over 105.

Post Likes
    Many times, the ducts in the house aren't big enough for the house let alone going bigger. So just throwing 3 tons at it may not accomplish much.

Post Likes
    Duct Layout improvement and some building envelope sealing would likely enable you to use a 2.5 Ton unit.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    Duct Layout improvement and some building envelope sealing would likely enable you to use a 2.5 Ton unit.

Thanks! I am replacing my current ducts with R8 flex. Out of the 4 contractors i saw 2 quoted me with 2.5 tons and 2 quoted 3 tons to factor in the high ceiling. I know both are great systems but not sure to go with which one.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ET914 View Post
    I live in the tri-valley in California
    it is a single story about 1600 sq ft.
    It is a upflow system with all the duct in attic

I am replacing the HVAC system and the Ductwork with R-8
    I don't SEE the layout.

Has anyone installed an UPflow in an attic?
    Seems rather rare.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in