Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    I hope that you meant to say hours
    ...........or your year has more days than mine.............lol.
    I hope you mean to say DEGREE DAYS
    otherwise QuadCities HVAC business is LIKELY In Real Trouble - Not LOL.

Jan avg temp 20
    -------- 65- 20 = 45
    ============== 45 * 31 = 1,395 Heating Degree Days (HDD)

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/...linois/moline/
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    I hope you mean to say DEGREE DAYS
    otherwise QuadCities HVAC business is LIKELY In Real Trouble - Not LOL.

Jan avg temp 20
    -------- 65- 20 = 45
    ============== 45 * 31 = 1,395 Heating Degree Days (HDD)

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/...linois/moline/

My mistake.......chill.

Soooo.... I just had estimate number 3. The good news is this contractor actually did a manual j on the home and had a LOT to say about the lack of calculations the other companies weren't doing. That made me feel a lot better, but of course, he was thousands higher than the previous add on quote which was for Goodman products. The exact quote for the attic install has not been given to me yet.

This gentleman was confident that I do not need an attic installation because I have control over the upstairs and downstairs supply ducts. He did say that because of the house design it will be difficult to equalize the temp and that I will be "fine" with an add on unit; although always cold downstairs. According to his calculations, I need an 80K BTU furnace (have a 131K now) and the AC will be a 3 Ton. He was almost furious a 4 ton unit was spec'd out from the other 2 companies. He almost guaranteed the coil would freeze up with that big of a condenser. Wouldn't that only be an issue if the coil was undersized?

They are a Trane only installer (from Lowes) Here are the exact parts he gave me:

Furnace: XV80 TUD2B080A9V3 or XV95 TUD2B080A9V3 (There is a ~$600 price difference before a $750 energy rebate) No brainer there.
    AC: XB13 4TTB3036
    Coil: ??? This info was not given to me.

Now I think am getting somewhere since the correct size equipment has been figured out. What other products should I be looking at? Trane seems pricey but nice, while Goodman is lower end...ish? I'm not looking for super high end, but I don't want cheap knock off stuff.

What are your current heating bills and fuel rate?
    I would be investigating whether model 60 is appropriate.

Even the TUD2B080A9V3 / 80,000 nominal BTU/Hr is probably oversized at 49,000 /76,000 BTU/HR for the 2 stages.
    .................................................. ......................................____________ ___________

__ http://www.trane.com/residential/pro...5-gas-furnaces
    Model ________Height (in.)
    ______________ Width (in.) _ Depth (in.)
    _____Nominal Capacity Output (BTUH) Stage1/Stage2 AFUE _ Energy Star 4.0

TUH2B060A9V3VB 40 _ 17.5 28 __ 37,700/58,000 96.7 Yes
    TUH2B080A9V3VB 40 _ 17.5 28 __ 49,500/76,000 95 Yes
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

November through February I average 230 therms at about $1.06xx per therm. Its pretty pricey compared to the $30 bill I just received.

I was looking at the Goodman GSX model with 70K BTU's and wondered if that was too small.

I found a website that alows me to figure out my own manual j.. that might be tonight's project.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12